External Usb Hard Drive Showing Empty

Hi

I have a 2Tb hard drive and a 1Tb hard drive connected to my wdtv but all of a sudden today my wdtv decides that there are no files on the 2Tb drive. I ejected the drive and put it in my laptop which showed all the folders and films on the drive. I then did an error check on the drive and windows says no errors found. Plugged it back into the wdtv and it scans and shows the drive as being connected but still no media on the drive.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks Paul

Hello,

Try running a diagnostic on the drive using WD DLG.

delete the hiiden .wd_tv folder

then restart the WD

this will force it to rescan the drive

KAD79 Wrote:

delete the hiiden .wd_tv folder

then restart the WD

this will force it to rescan the drive

I had already done this but it made no difference. I then did a firmware rollback but still nothing showing on the drive when conncted to the Wdtv.

Just one thing and I don’t know if this makes a difference but the hard drive is 3Tb and not 2Tb.

Thanks Paul

HDKnows Wrote:

Hello,

Try running a diagnostic on the drive using WD DLG.

First of all my drive is a Seagate backup so I tried the Seagate tool and this showed the drive as having no errors. I then tried the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and still no errors showed.

Thanks Paul

drive size should not make a difference

although there was a USB3 bug effecting larger drives

this is supposed to be fixed in current firmware 2.01.86

drive format could make a difference, if it’s a format that is not supported

also does the drive have it’s own power supply

some external drives that rely only on USB power might not work

as the WD is already a very low power device, and can’t provide enough power to run some of those drives

I get this alot, also sometimes it will show only some of the files on the hard drive.  Usually removing and plugging it in again fixes it, occasionally I have to restart the wdtv. I also find plugging the hard drive in and waiting a few minutes before trying to access files helps, although I cant prove that the files would or wouldn’t have shown up if I hadn’t waited.

Well guys I have sorted it by trial and error. Connected the drive to my laptop and created another folder, named it abcd.Removed the drive and plugged it into Wdtv,Voila the empty folder showed but not my Movie folder. Reconnected to my laptop and moved all genre folders with the movies inside into the new abcd folder. Reconnected to my Wdtv and all the files are now showing.Just renamed abcd folder to movies and everything now is Ok. I just don’t understand why it would not show the original Movie folder in the first place after using it for more than 13 months. Wierd.

Thanks Paul

Well I’ve just come to watch a film and low and behold the Wdtv now says that there is no storage present. So its gone from originally not showing the media to now, not even showing the hard drive. I’m now getting p…d off with this box.

Paul