External HDD not found

I have just setup my WD SMP and am having problems with it finding a WD external My Passport 500GB 2.0 HD.  It displays Connecting to Media at the top for a second and then disappears, the HD does not show on the SMP.

I hooked up a Seagate drive and it does work as does a thumbdrive.  

I did the firmware update and that made no difference.

I hooked up the WD external HDD to my Mac and the MAC finds the HDD and the files on it with no problem.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

I am adding to this post to ask another question.  I am wondering if perhaps the problem is that the HDD is formatted ExFAT32

Nosteele wrote:

I am adding to this post to ask another question.  I am wondering if perhaps the problem is that the HDD is formatted ExFAT32

Yes.  This Microsoft proprietary and patented filesystem can be legally used in most countries only by paying money to MS for a license.  It is not generally supported on Linux-based systems (like the SMP) at this point.  I so far see no convincing reasons why anyone would want to use it over NTFS–unless you simply want to pay MS even more money. :neutral_face:

I was told that I had to do that in order to be able to use the HDD for both Mac and PC.  I have formatted the external HDD back to NSFS but now I am finding a differnet issue.  Will be posting that in a separate thread. :angry: