Display XML data in folder when browsing folders HELP

Alright so I stream all my movies to the wd tv live smp. I have a folder that is named the movie title and inside each folder I have the movie and a picture. When I am browsing the folders I see the picture, which is exactly what I want. But now I want to implement xml files for each movie to see the synopsis and actors, etc. But when browsing the FOLDERS in the view that would display the xml, I get the picture but not the data. I have to open the folder, and then the actual movie has the xml data. How can I get it so the xml inside the folder is displayed as the data for the folder, not the actual video? Otherwise to view the synopsis for a movie you would have to open the folder every time. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance. 

Can’t be done.

Same problem, has this been confirmed by WD Support.

It can’t be done.  It  is a comfirmed non-feature of the WD.

Hi Alex,

I have a kind of workaround for this. It’s a bit clunky but it works for me as I only use synopsis info for TV shows. I’m pretty sure that you have to enable Media Library for this to work but can’t verify right now as I am working away from home.

<< below denotes my comments

My folder structure:

/Movies

/Argo

Argo.mp4

Argo.xml

Folder.jpg << Displays Argo movie icon

/Batman Returns

Batman Returns.mp4

Batman Returns.xml

Folder.jpg

Folder.jpg << Displays the Movies icon

/TV Series

/Game of Thrones.mp4 << note folder has mp4 extension

/Season 01.mp4 << note folder extension

Game of Thrones - s01e01.mp4

Game of Thrones - s01e01.metathumb

Game of Thrones - s01e01.xml

Game of Thrones - s01e02.mp4

Game of Thrones - s01e02.metathumb

Game of Thrones - s01e02.xml

etc…

/Season 02.mp4 << note extension

Game of Thrones - s02e01.mp4

Game of Thrones - s02e01.metathumb

Game of Thrones - s02e01.xml

Game of Thrones - s02e02.mp4

Game of Thrones - s02e02.metathumb

Game of Thrones - s02e02.xml

etc…

Season 01.xml << When Season 01 folder is selected - displays synopsis info for Season 01

Season 02.xml << When Season 02 folder is selected - displays synopsis info for Season 02

Folder.jpg << Displays generic Game of Thrones icon

Game of Thrones.xml << Displays synopsis for all Game of Thrones Series

Folder.jpg << Displays a TV icon

I hope this makes sense as I had a **bleep** of a job to get this reply to format properly on my iPad.

But just to clarify, make sure you have a valid extension on the folder. I use .mp4 as we stream to a lot of iDevices and that is our prefered format in our house. Make sure the name of the .xml matches the folder name and the xml should be at the same folder level.

ie.

/Container folder

/folder 01.mp4

/folder 02.mp4

folder 01.xml

folder 02.xml

When you browse your media library, as you select a folder the synopsis is displayed. Offlhand I can’t rememeber if the SMP filters the extension on the folder. I have a vague recollection that it might, either that or my brain just filters it now & I never see it :slight_smile:

I only do this for TV series and not Movies as it’s a bit labour intensive. I find that I can organise the TV series as I tend to buy box sets and while these are being ripped I can work on the folder structure and xml files.

I have an xml template that I modify for the synopsis. This was originally derived from the movie scraper xml and is very easy to do using Notepad++ or an XML editor of your choice.

Hope this is some help

slip