Disk format / Network share combinations such that attached disks are writeable?

What are the Disk format / Network share combinations supported by WDTV Live such that the attached disk is writeable?

Scenario - a local disk is connected to WD TV Live via USB.  WD TV is connected to a local network via WiFi. Another computer on the same network (in my case, a Mac) can see the disk attached to WDTV Live as a shared disk.

When the disk attached to WDTV is Mac (HFS) formatted, that disk is readable but not writeable by the Mac if WD TV has Window Shares turned ON and Mac Shares turned OFF.  The disk appears as a shared disk by its given name.

When the disk attached to WDTV is Mac (HFS+) formatted, that disk is readable and writeable by the Mac if WD TV has Window Shares turned OFF and Mac Shares turned ON.  The disk appears as a shared disk with a 16 digit random hex name (helpful - not.  Why does this happen?)

I have not tried FAT formatted disks, but I would guess that disk would be readable and writeable with Windows Shares turned on and Mac Shares turned off, but only readable with Window Shares turned off and Mac Shares turned on.  Does it matter if the network computer is Mac or PC?

And what happens if WDTV has both Windows and Mac shares turned on?

Can the WD TV Live cope if an HFS+ disk is plugged into one USB port, and a FAT disk is plugged into the other?  

Is any particular disk format / Network share combination more efficient or faster than the others?

Thanks.

any combination of formats listed as supported in the user manual will work

ext3 or fat32 will be the best for locally connected drives

native support from for those filesystems

ntfs uses a paragon driver,

hfs or hfs+ , no clue what drivers are being used

anything over network will not matter for drive format

“anything over network will not matter for drive format”… hmm… well it does seem to matter.  With HFS+ disk, it is writeable over the network only if WD TV has Mac Shares turned on, but NOT if Window Shares is turned on.  In the latter case, the disk attached to the WDTV is only readable over the network.

I’m not sure what the WD uses for “Mac Shares” but “Windows Shares” means cifs protocol

you’ll need to look into sharing protocol used for Mac Shares and what permissions are set up

any network share option the WD connects using a network sharing protocol

permissions are handled by the PC that has the drive, the PC also handles drivers and support for drive formats