DVD folder thumbnails

On my hard disk, connected by USB to the wdtv smp, I have the following structure for every DVD folder:

MOVIE_NAME_FOLDER

folder.jpg

VIDEO_TS

But the image doesn’t shows. Instead, the folder.jpg works with folders that contain mkv or avi’s inside. I’m doing something wrong?

Besides, I’m a bit disappointed that the interface (and the thumbnails) look all squeezed on a 4:3 tv set. (the films look ok).

Thanks for the help!

Isn’t that they way it’s supposed to work? A clan VOB doesn’t have a folder pic on an ISO. MKV and AVI are different because they don’t use a specific folder structure to work.

Thank you for your reply.

I didn’t think so, as the iso contains the VIDEO_TS folder, not the folder with the movie name. From what I was reading, besides, it seems like gen 2 of the wd tv worked as I expected it to (like mi old media player, or windows xp did). So what should I do so as not to have a dull icon on DVD folders? Maybe a jpg on the same folder that MOVIE_NAME_FOLDER is and named MOVIE_NAME_FOLDER.jpg?

The problem is the Folder / Subfolder Structure

a folder.jpg must reside in a folder that contains media files 

Thor The Dark World  -----  Main Folder

of this Main Folder below

VIDEO_TS -------------------- Sub Folder with DVD files

folder.jpg ---------------------- folder.jpg

VIDEO_TS.jpg --------------- Won’t display either

Thor The Dark World ------ Won’t display either

The folder.jpg and the other .jpg’s will not display since there are No Media Files present (a “Sub Folder” is not a “Media File”)

also placing the folder.jpg into the Sub Folder will not display when browsing through the Main Folder (the level is one folder too deep)

*WORKAROUND*

Ditch the Subfolders !    ie. Rename your VIDEO_TS Folder to the Name of the Movieit will still play perfectly fine

Then inside this folder … place a folder.jpg (and to be 100% sure place another .jpg and name it VTS_01_0.jpg)

So, you end up with this …

<contents> of this Main Folder below

folder.jpg

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_0.VOB

VTS_01_0.jpg

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_02_0.BUP

VTS_02_0.IFO

VTS_02_0.VOB

VTS_02_1.VOB

etc … etc …

P.S. another “Workaround” but looks a bit unsightly

of this Main Folder

VIDEO_TS -------------------- Sub Folder with DVD files

folder.jpg ---------------------- folder.jpg

folder.avi ---------------------- this is a “fake / dummy” media file    (create it notepad … save and rename it to .avi)

Personally, whatever DVD i rip now … i use *.ISO it’s a lot less hassle … and for my old collection of VIDEO_TS on HDD … i’ve converted them to *.ISO using this handy program Folder2Iso (click to download)

2 Likes

Can I assume that to get DVD menus etc you now don’t need the files in be in a VIDEO_TS folder?

Thank you! I’ll try it.

Another thing I will try: if there’s a AUDIO_TS folder along with the VIDEO_TS folder, the image shows. But I still have to see if by clicking it it plays as a DVD.

richUK wrote:

Can I assume that to get DVD menus etc you now don’t need the files in be in a VIDEO_TS folder?

Yes, renaming the VIDEO_TS folder to Movie Folder Name does not affect Menu Nagivation in any way.

VIDEO_TS (naming) is only required for Disc Based DVD Players for Playback

@20fps

Quote: Another thing I will try: if there’s a AUDIO_TS folder

Don’t bother, it’s redundant … it does nothing  (it’s only there for some Disc Based DVD Players … that might require it to present )

I always Delete the AUDIO_TS folder since it’s does nothing (and there’s never anything in it)

I have not tried it lately but I know that originally it had to be in a VIDEO_TS folder for dvd menus to work.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5464/~/the-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media-player-will-not-play-dvd-content-with-menus-in

Plus page 74 of manual

Important: For DVD navigation to work, the VOB files must be placed in a folder named VIDEO_TS.

That’s the *OLD*  WDTV Live Plus …  (Faq: Last Updated 02/04/2011)  3 years ago

This is the WDTV Live Streaming Forum  (20fps Has a WDTV SMP)

Tested this on the WDTV Live Hub (FW 2.0717) … works fine , so i’m assuming this will work on the SMP as well (since it’s a close relative to the WDTV Live Hub and an even newer device)

I know AUDIO_TS does nothing, but yesterday, when I connected my harddisk to the wdtv, the only DVD folder that would show it’s cover was the one that contained an AUDIO_TS folder in it. I will do all these tests today.

Ok, no probs 20fps … That’s what trouble shooting, testing things and trying different possibilities is for …

to find a solution / resolution / workaround to a problem.   

(My occupation involves this … which i also apply to any consumer electronic devices i own)

JoeySmyth wrote:

That’s the *OLD*  WDTV Live Plus …  (Faq: Last Updated 02/04/2011)  3 years ago

This is the WDTV Live Streaming Forum  (20fps Has a WDTV SMP)

Tested this on the WDTV Live Hub (FW 2.0717) … works fine , so i’m assuming this will work on the SMP as well (since it’s a close relative to the WDTV Live Hub and an even newer device)

True regarding the faq but not regarding the manual

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player  User Manual

WATCHING VIDEO – 74

DVD Navigation
In most cases, when the contents of an entire DVD have been successfully saved
and stored on an attached USB hard drive or a networked hard drive connected to
the media player, you will experience the same DVD menu navigation functionality
using the buttons on the media player remote as you would using a DVD remote for
a DVD player connected to a television.

Important: For DVD navigation to work, the VOB files must be placed in a
folder named VIDEO_TS.

However as you say I have just tried it and it appears that you do no longer need the VIDEO_TS folder. I have no idea when that requirement was removed because I use iso. It may even be that this part of the manual was a direct copy of the old live.

richUK wrote:

folder named VIDEO_TS.

However as you say I have just tried it and it appears that you do no longer need the VIDEO_TS folder. I have no idea when that requirement was removed because I use iso. It may even be that this part of the manual was a direct copy of the old live.

So, there ya go … don’t believe everything that’s in the User Manual :wink:

JoeySmyth wrote:

richUK wrote:

folder named VIDEO_TS.

So, there ya go … don’t believe everything that’s in the User Manual :wink:

The problem us that we are always telling users to read it!