DTS-HD passthrough issues

I’m currently testing a new LG TV which is pretty annoying and also seems to bring out weird behaviour in the Live SMP. I’ve attached it via HDMI and set audio to passthrough via HDMI only but when I play back DTS-HD audio, I don’t get sound at all despite the initial handshake confirming DTS 6 channel, 44, 48. I only hear sound when I set the Live to Stereo.

However, when I attach the USB HDD to the TV and play from its mediaplayer, I do hear sound from the very same DTS-HD track (presumably the core). What am I missing?

Doesn’t the Live have problems with DTS-HD passthrough?

I’d be interested in clarification regarding HDMI handshake

from reading above I assume this is what’s happening

SMP → HDMI → Receiver

SMP set to HDMI passthrough

you start playback of file

receiver recognizes DTS 6 channel

but there is no audio

is this correct?

if so that’s interesting to me, because that’s basically my set up

and occaisonally, I receive no audio from files, I’ve never bothered to look and see if it’s only DTS HD audio

always figured, it was my cheepo receiver, it’s a base model pioneer elite from about 3  years ago

anyways when it does happen, I change the input source on the receiver to anything non-hdmi

and then back to HDMI2

and bam, I’ve got audio

basically, I just forced the HDMI to re-negotiate

Nope, it’s

SMP → HDMI → TV

no sound

The TV however does play DTS from the very same file with its embedded media player.

Techflaws wrote:

Nope, it’s

SMP → HDMI → TV

no sound

The TV however does play DTS from the very same file with its embedded media player.

so no receiver ?

just audio from tv speakers ?

generally with that set up, you’ll need to have the WD set to sterio so that WD decodes

I would never recommend somebody using built in TV speakers to set the WD to passthrough, while TV’s are getting better

there’s still too many incompatibilities