DLNA streaming always breaks with "the content source has been removed..."

Hello,

I have my wd tv live connected via wire and a router to my NAS (accidentally a wd MyBookLive duo) and try to stream videos via DLNA. For the sake of completeness I should mention that I run Twonky 7 on the MBLD and not the integrated DLNA media server.

So the twonky is perfectly recognized and when I select it in the menu, it shows all my videos as usual to choose from. However, when I try to watch a video, the stream is getting interrupted after a short period of time, usually within seconds up to one minute and there is an error message: “The content source has been removed. Please select another one”
This always happens and only when I try to stream via DLNA - there is no problem at all when I read the files via network share. Nevertheless it is quite annoying, because DLNA support was the reason why I bought this device (and I do not have all my media in the network share).
As far as I can tell there is no problem with music streaming via DLNA, it just seems to apply to videos. The Twonky server works in general for videos, I have no problem with streaming onto my iPad to a different player. So the issue must be related to the wd tv live. Power cycling and factory reset don’t solve it.

Firmware is 1.16.13. And the device is just one day old, got it yesterday.
Is there anything that can be done? Or a firmware fix on the way? Otherwise I would consider to return it and buy another one…

Thanks in advance

Before you give up on the SMP, check the setting under Twonky 7 that restarts the server on network changes.

This has been a bane to me on ALL versions of Twonky (5, 6, 7) – It’s ON by default, and I turn it off and never had another problem.

It’s under Settings / Advanced / Restart on NIC changes → UNCHECK it, save, and restart the server.

Thanks, I will try that as well.

In the mean time I figured out two other things:

1. The problem occurs with music as well, not only videos.

2. There is another daemon related to DLNA running on the MBLD, which is called upnp_nas. It runs although I switched the default DLNA service off, which is a bit puzzling… but anyway. When I stop that (“/etc/init.d/upnp_nas stop”) and restart twonky (“/etc/init.d/twonky restart”), the issue seems to be solved. I can stream videos and music without any interrupts now and watch my music videos .

Maybe the two services are interfering somehow, eventually interrupting each other. Eventually it has also to do with the NIC setting. But my iPad with 8player is not troubled in any way… because of better caching? I don’t know.

I’ve unchecked the NIC setting and problems are solved. Thanks :slight_smile:

Well, have to correct myself. Checking of the “restart on NIC changes” setting doesn’t solve anything. What really solves the issue is switching off the second interfering service upnp_nas. Unfortunately it is not as easy as removing it from autostart via “update-rc.d -f unpn_nas remove”, because some WD-introduced black magic (in /usr/local/sbin) does always readd it after system start… So one has to stop that thing every time manually after a reboot of the MBLD. Or find the script where it is readded to autostart and clear it.

Anyway, as far as the smp is concerned, it is clear that it overreacts to interfering DLNA services (don’t know the exact problem though). I hope that there will be a firmware update soon which fixes that. Other DLNA clients are obviously not disturbed that much.