Custom Folder Icons Blurry - what am I doing wrong?

Hi, everyone. 

We’ve recently purchased the Samsung UHD 55". I have my WDTV Live connected via the HDMI port. I have a WD Passport external drive connected. I have two issues.

1: On my previous TV, I used to simply hold down the power button for 5 or 6 seconds to shut the WDTV unit off completely.  I never had a problem doing this. On my new TV, it doesn’t resond in the same way and I am unable to shut it down completely (we live in quite a hot summer climate, and I don’t like it being so hot 24/7. I prefer to shut it down.) Currently, after ejecting my drive and turning off the WDTV unit, I simply have to pull the power plug. (Bit of a pain, and I’d rather not do that if I don’t have to.)

2: I cannot seem to make my custom folder icons (using Corel PSP) display clearly. I have five custom icons: Movies, Photos, Home Videos, Workouts and Music Videos. This is the biggest issue for me. I’ve tried all sorts of resolutions from 200 x 300 @ 72 dpi all the way up to 1000 x 1500 @ 300,000!!! just to see if it makes a difference. Obviously I am doing something very wrong. If someone could enlighten me, I’d be so grateful!

Thanks so much.

Michaela :womanfrustrated:

1. A new TV should’nt affect how the WDTV Remote Control functions … unless, you’re using the CEC option and using the TV Remote to Operate and Shutdown the WDTV … which if you are, using the CEC option, it may not be working correctly since it’s a Brand New UHD and the CEC drivers in the WDTV probably haven’t been updated to fully support it.

2. Thumbnail images are displayed from cache … doesent matter how good quality the local images are (and also, do not use large 1000x1500 resolution … this can cause massive slowdown*)  … the thumbs are a cache image and are small, fuzzy and overcompressed … however latest firmware (2.02.32) reverts how cache is handled (looks like it displays the thumbnail from a local image and not a cache image*)

Also Note: the Native Resolution of the WDTV GUI is 720p … so on a UHD TV it probably won’t look too impressive (only guessing, don’t have a UHD TV)

Thanks, Joey. What is CEC? I am using a universal remote, but I’ve also tried the original WD remote, which hasn’t brought success.

As far as the graphic, all the fonts, the graphic on the main page, etc, are crystal clear. If that is so for the WD GUI, shouldn’t it be the same for the folder icons I make? The folder jpgs that are downloaded automatically with the movie info are perfect. That’s why I think it’s must be something I’m doing?? I just can’t think what. Or is my logic flawed?

Michaela

have no idea  :neutral_face:

KiwiGirl wrote:

2: I cannot seem to make my custom folder icons (using Corel PSP) display clearly.

1.  Make sure your Thumbnails don’t, themselves, have embedded EXIF thumbnails.   They’re usually very low resolution.   At least quite a while back, the WD would display the embedded EXIF thumbnail in many cases instead of the actual file – I haven’t tested for this in YEARS, so I don’t know if that issue still exists.

Hi, Tony.

How do I check for that? I don’t know anything about EXIF files, but I’m guessing it would be called folder.exif, and I would need to delete them?

Thanks for your response, Tony.

EXIF isn’t a file. It’s data embedded in the JPG file. If you’re using Paintshop Pro, presumably it would tell you.

Ahh. Got it. I shall look into that. Thanks, Tony. :slight_smile:

Tony, that was it! It’s been bugging me for ages. You’re awesome! Thanks so much!

Now, can you help me with the other issue: not being able to shutdown the unit completely using the remote (holding down the power button for 6 seconds)?

I got nothing on that one!

OK. Thanks so much for your help. After I accept your solution, will I need to start another thread for the second issue? Sorry…don’t come on here much, so not sure of the protocol. :slight_smile:

KiwiGirl wrote:

I am using a universal remote

Univeral Remotes generally dont simulate long key presses.  It may be able to be programmed to do that, you’d have to check. so only the original remote would be able to shut down the unit.  Sometimes up to a 10 second key press is required.> There’s also the auto-off option which shuts down the unit after 3 hours of inactivity.

Hi, Ron. Thanks for your reply. I did also try the original remote to see if that was the issue, but it also didn’t work with that. I did only try it once, though, so perhaps I need to give it another go and ensure that it’s at least 10 seconds!

Will let you know if that works. 

Thanks again.

Michaela