Connections from PC to WD TV LIVE to Smart TV to play DVDs on hard drives?

So far my DVDs on hard drives play very slowly, in slow motion, with little to no sound on the SmartTV connected to WD TV Live and to my PC. A sound bar with wireless subwoofer is also connected to the TV.

D-Link DIR-655 router is in between all of these. There are HMDI, Ethernet, digital sound cables connected on everything. Could some wires be crossed?

Seems a bit complicated, why are you going through so many items.

Surely your Smart TV will see the files from your PC ? Unless you are saying its playing files from a hard drive connected to your SMP, but I dont understand why you mention the PC ?

It may be more an issue of Sound issues as in the TV cant play whatever sound is on your DVDs. See if there are options in your sound settings and what your TV actually supports, slowness on playback is usually a giveaway that something is not getting transcoded properly.

The router sends the DVD files from the PC’s hard drives through the WD TV Live Media Player from my PC hard drives to the SmartTV which does see the DVD files in the WD TV Live display on the TV.

The PC’s hard drives are the source for the DVD files.

Samsung’s All Share software does not support VOB - DVD files so I stopped trying to use All Share because it doesn’t share all.

WD TV Live does support VOB and many other formats. I am just at a loss to the best connection between the devices.

Previously I have viewed the movie AVATAR from my laptop hard drive to the SmartTV with a direct HDMI connection.

Sound and display were fine.

Normally the DVD’s that are played from the DVD player to the SmartTV are good. But I do not actually have original discs for many of my DVDs, just downloaded from borrowed discs to the PC.

My questions: What connection would be best to view DVDs on the PC’s hard drives to the SmartTV? How do I simplify the connection?

So if I understand what you are doing:

You have VOBs on a share on your PC.

You have the WDTV attached to your TV(Smart has nothing to do with it)

You areusing the WDTV mediaplayer to play the files from you PC share

Assuming that’s correct:

1. Is  your PC wired to the network or using wifi?

2. Is your WDTV wired to the network or using wifi?

3.  Are you using shares or are you using a DLNA media server app(tversity)?

if 1+2 are wifi then that is likely your problem.

at a minimum your file server should always be wired.

Also if you are using shares you might want to try a DLNA server instead.  Usually this protocol is much more efficient than file shares.

Just as an FYI I am also using a PC share with my WDTV and have no issues even streaming full 20+mbit 1080 mkvs, BUT my setup is 100% wired.