Connecting to WDTV boxes via wifi

Hi everyone,

I have just bought the new WDTV live streaming media player, replace my 2nd generation WDTV live HD player.

I am trying to find out if I have my 1TB HDD (with all the movies) attached to the new streaming media player and somehow connect the older box (via usb Wi-fi adapter) and stream movies to the older box?

Does anyone know if you can connect 2 boxes via the wifi network? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction, as I really don’t want to be moving the HDD between the 2 boxes and hoped that this new box would let me stream the movies between the 2 boxes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I don’t think you could do that with the WD Live TV SMP, you need the Hub for that, you need to connect your HDD to a pc perhaps and setup a network share like NFS or Samba then you can access this drive from both the WD’s.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck with getting this to work the way you’d like to.

Not exactly the scenario you are looking for, but I have a WDTVsmp connected wirelessly to my local net, and it has 3TB of HDD movies attched to it.

In my bedroom, I have a Gen2 Live + connected by hardwire to my router (same router that the smp is using wirelessly).  I have absolutely no issues having the Live+ stream ISO movies from the SMP, and if I put an HDD on the Gen2, I can stream to the SMP with no problems at all.

Ah, should mention that I have Media compiling on the Gen2 turned off, so no pretty pictures or info on that one. Didn’t test it with Media turned on.