Connecting new WD box to exisiting WD box with external drive

I have a WD box with external hard drive connected via wire to the router.  I just bought a new WD box for another room in the house that is connected wirelessly to the network and I would like to connect it to the external drive that’s hooked to the wired wd box.  Is there a way to do this.  Currently the new WD box is not “seeing” the exisiting wired wd box external drive.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, it can be done, many of us have multiple connected devices, but your WD boxes each need a unique device name which you find in the devices’ settings.  If your original device has the default name (e.g. WDTVLIVE – not sure of the exact name,) and if your new box has the default name, you have a conflict.to resolve.  Easy to fix, just add a 2 at the end of the second box’s name (no space).  Also all boxes need to be in the same workgroup, so be sure they are the same.  The WDs have WORKGROUP as the default name.  The rest of the home network also needs to be in the same workgroup, too., as you likely know.

1 Like

This worked.

Thanks!

Of course it worked; this is the most common mistake made by people who try to connect a second unit and it doesn’t work.