Connecting USB to Watch Movies

I just bought the WD TV Live to watch movies that i have stored on my hard drive to my TV. I was wondering how to do this. I connected it to the WD TV Live but it says connecting and then nothing happens. Can someone help?

My hard drive is configured for time machine backup on my mac, i dont know if that has anything to do with it. Its been "compiling media library now for like 20 minutes. 

While the SMP says that it supports Apple’s HFS+, it also says that it does not support it with journaling enabled, and journaling must be enabled to use the FS with Time Machine.  In fact, it is not a great idea to use a FS that doesn’t have journaling, so  in reality the SMP does not support HFS+ configured in a reasonable manner.

I always wondered that too. But if the media library is turned off, it can be used as read-only? Or does it write anything else like the last position of a DVD already watched?

Techflaws wrote:

I always wondered that too. But if the media library is turned off, it can be used as read-only? Or does it write anything else like the last position of a DVD already watched?

It appears to still write a resume point in the .wd_tv directory on each drive. I don’t use the media library but have the  file “video_resume_point_table” on each drive my SMP and HUB access with current dates (within the past day or so). 

-P