Compiling media library hangs on WD Elements 1TB hard drive

Hi,

I just bought the SMP especially to play the music files that I have on my 1TB WD Elements drive. Compiling the media library fails after some time and the unit becomes unresponsive and needs to be power cycled (even the phone app cannot connect to the unit). After reading some forum posts, I turned off the media library compiling and can play my music  on the drive but I was wondering if there is a way to get the media library to finish compiling without hanging. 

Thanks.

Hello,

Does this happen with any drive or just the WD Elements?

Have you tried resetting the media player?

Broken record here:  Have you tried the front USB port on the SMP?  Things frequently hang for me when I use the rear port.

Yup, currently using the front port rather than the rear.  Tried resetting the SMP, restarting with the USB plugged in, removing the .wd_tv directory and trying again (this directory only seems to contain the thumbnails (?) for a small fraction of the files on the drive and from only 2 directories).  There are some non music directories on the drive, but I figure that shouldn’t matter…

Just tried one music folder on a smaller USB stick which seems to work.   Does this mean a corrupted file/folder on the Elements drive?  If so, how do I identify it (it’s a big drive)?

Thanks.

Have a look at this thread.  This covers a number of possibilities.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media-Player/m-p/607373

Thanks!  I’ll just hide the other directories and see if that works.