Checking Drives For Available Space?

I have a small free program I use to check available space on HDs connected to my PC which works great. However for what ever reason it doesn’t recognize the HDs connected to my WD SMP over my network. I have to physically remove the drives and connect them to my PC to check the available space.

Is there a free program out there that can check the available/used space on my HDs over the network without having to disconnect them from my SMP ???

Thanks…  

No need for a program.  Windows supports that natively.  Just connect to the drive via the network, and free space is shown in the network drive summary, like this:

Make sure the “Network Share Server” is set to “ON” in the “Network Settings” Configuration menu.

Thanks for the replies guys… 

Tony, my attached drives show as yours - name, icon, free space - however the network drives only show name and an icon.

Haven’t figured out how to set it properly for that. I have win7.

Braumeister, not quite sure where the “Network Settings” Configuration menu is ???  Or how to set it properly, perhaps thats the problem ?

Thanks…  

DarkMyst wrote:

Tony, my attached drives show as yours - name, icon, free space - however the network drives only show name and an icon.

Haven’t figured out how to set it properly for that. I have win7 

There’s nothing to set, but you do need to connect to that drive at least once each boot before that data will show.

DarkMyst wrote:

Braumeister, not quite sure where the “Network Settings” Configuration menu is ???  Or how to set it properly, perhaps thats the problem ?

Thanks…  

____________________________________________________________________________________

It can be found on page 31 of the User Manual.

Enabling File Sharing on the Network Share (Samba Server)

1. Navigate to the Home | Setup menu bar.
  2. Press UpArrow/DownArrow to select Network Settings, then press OK.
  3. Press UpArrow/DownArrow to select Network Share Server and make sure the option is set to
    On.

Tony, not to belabor the point if I select ‘computer’ I see this…  ( you seem to be able to list all three groups… HDD, Devises & Removable Storage along with your Network Drives, I can either show ‘Computer’ or ‘Network’ not both.

If I select Network then  ‘WD TVLive’ under Network I get this…   here I only get a name and icon.

As you can see I can’t list both network and computer drives simultaneously as you seem to be able to do. Nor will it list the free space for network drives, only for drives listed under computer.

Anyway thank you for your help… 

Braumeister wrote:

DarkMyst wrote:

Thanks…  

____________________________________________________________________________________

It can be found on page 31 of the User Manual.

Enabling File Sharing on the Network Share (Samba Server)

1. Navigate to the Home | Setup menu bar.
  2. Press UpArrow/DownArrow to select Network Settings, then press OK.
  3. Press UpArrow/DownArrow to select Network Share Server and make sure the option is set to
    On.

I see, sorry I thought you were refering to a Win7 network setting…  thanks it was already set to ON.

DarkMyst wrote:

Tony, not to belabor the point if I select ‘computer’ I see this…  ( you seem to be able to list all three groups… HDD, Devises & Removable Storage along with your Network Drives, I can either show ‘Computer’ or ‘Network’ not both.

[snip]

If I select Network then  ‘WD TVLive’ under Network I get this…   here I only get a name and icon.

[snip]

As you can see I can’t list both network and computer drives simultaneously as you seem to be able to do. Nor will it list the free space for network drives, only for drives listed under computer.

Anyway thank you for your help… 

You need to MAP a drive in order for it to show in that pane.  In other wrods, it needs to be assigned a drive letter.

Alternatively, you can RIGHT CLICK the “WDTVLIVE” item over on the left pane, and select Properties from the pop-up menu.