Cannot play ANY files from USB or network (2.01.86)

Hey everyone.  I just bought my first WD TV product today.  It is fresh out of the box, I let it do the 2.01.86 update.

I cannot play a single file.  Just get the spinning arrow.

I read a few forum post on various forums, and some people were having this same problem, but I could only find people complaining about network play causing this issue.  Some people said it only happened after the screensaver came on?

I have disabled screensaver, just to be safe.

I have a WD My Passport Ultra 1tb.  Tried plugged into the front and back USB ports.

I have tried a large variety of different files, with different combos of audio/video codes

x264/h264 in MKV/AVI/MP4 containers.  also with MP3/AAC/DTS audio.

Not even JPG files will open.

I’m about to do a factory reset, and try without the 2.01.86 update.  Anyone have any other suggestions.

A factory reset won’t remove any firmware updates. You’d have to do a firmware rollback for that, but I’d definitely suggest a factory reset anyway.

unplug the USB drive and plug back in. let the smp re-identify the media

Solved!

I did try unplugging the drive, and booting it up without the drive connected.  Tried network play, Same issue. 

Even tried booting it up using other USB thumb drives.  Same issue.

The solution was to do a Factory Reset.

I don’t know if this was part of it, but this time I skipped the Wifi setup at the beginning, and tried to play files before setting anything up.  It worked flawlessly.

Then I setup wifi, and tried playing local files again (before trying setting up my network shared stuff).  Still works fine.

Then I setup my network shared files from my PC, tried local and network play,  both working fine.

I’m sure the reset alone did it, just listed out all that to be thorough. 

Great