Cannot establish Windows Shares with Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit

I have been using my WD TV Live for about a year or so on my XP computer, few problems.  I just upgraded my PC to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and simply cannot get it to see the Windows Shares to my computer.  I am connecting to view videos using Serviio and going through Media Servers, but that gives me no control to delete videos after seeing them.  I have read everything I can find and gone through my sharing settings a dozen times, all to no avail.  I am lost at this point,  Suggestions would be appreciated.  I can ping my unit and it does connect using Media Servers.  I have the latest WD firmware.

Hello,

If you are able to connect using media server, then the issue should be within the permissions settings. Also try resetting the device to make sure that the unit is detecting properlly the new system.

1 Like

Thanks for helping, Help4All. As is often the case, I managed to solve this after days and days of frustration. There were a couple of issues. Firstly, I had neglected to place the PC and the WD unit on the same workgroup. Rarely having to set up such things, it’s not something that came to mind even though to most it would be obvious. Secondly, I simply could not see my video file on a USB drive plugged into my PC. I could see shared files on my C drive, but those were not my real target. The solution was that I had to not only share the folder on the USB drive, I also had to share the drive itself. Once I set that, along with the workgroup issue, all was working again.

An added benefit was that my options button began working again, meaning I can again delete files after I have viewed them. (I posted this as a separate issue and will update it as solved.).

My last thought on this is that I would really value a comprehensive checklist from WD for these things, specific to each OS, in my case Windows 8. If it exists I am not aware of it. Clearly ensuring your workgroup has been properly set up would be on it. WD TV Live media player is wonderful but has many quirks. You need to be somewhat of a computer wizz, or at least very comfortable making background settings, to keep it working. Checklists and solutions for typical problems would be invaluable.

Thanks again for the support.

There is an FAQ here for the original live which may be of help in future.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135

1 Like

Thanks, Rich.  That is pretty well what I had in mind.  I am not sure where it lives normally but it should be a sticky at the top of the forum and it should be updated regularly as the current one is over three years old, a lifetime and then some in computer terms.  I recognize though that this is a voluntary endeavour so appreciate the effort put into producing and sharing it.

@buddyboy

Lots of folks have problems setting up Network shares, too, so read the first post of this thread:   How to resolve Network shares access problems

Buddyboy_4 wrote:

Thanks, Rich.  That is pretty well what I had in mind.  I am not sure where it lives normally but it should be a sticky at the top of the forum and it should be updated regularly as the current one is over three years old, a lifetime and then some in computer terms.  I recognize though that this is a voluntary endeavour so appreciate the effort put into producing and sharing it.

Its a sticky at the top of the original live board.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Discussions/bd-p/tv_live