Can't connect wirelessly to my HD connected to an Airport Extreme

I’ve searched the forum but I haven’t found any answers for my specific issue.

What I want to do is simply to stream music/movies etc. wirelessly from my HD connected to an Airport extreme to my WD TV live (3rd gen.). And I don’t want to go via any computer, like shared folders etc.

This is what I’ve done so far:

• Upgraded the WD TV to the latest firmware

• Downgraded the Airport utility to 5.6 to be able to do the WPS-setup.

• I’ve done the network and WPS setup on the WD TV

• Checked the connection - OK

• Under Select Content Source I selected Media Server → Nothing available

When I’m connecting the HD directly to the WD TV it shows up perfectly. 

The HD shows up on my other computers at home (MacBook Pro and Mac Mini) and the WD TV also shows up on my Mac Mini.

What am I missing??

Krok58 wrote:

What am I missing??

Simple.

The Airport Extreme isn’t a Media Server.

Hmmm…

Maybe I’ve misunderstood things but I thought it was possible to use APX as a NAS (with an USB disk hooked on to it)
I’ve read on other places that people uses APX as a media server, but I guess I’ve got it all wrong then, gaahhh…

So, any suggestions how I should solve my problem the easiest/cheapes way with the equippment I’ve got?

I can’t move the HD since it serves my other computers in the network and the APX and the WD TV are based on different floors.

Well, I’m glad to tell you,  TonyPh12345, that you were wrong. Suddenly it just worked perfect! :slight_smile:
Since I’m a Mac-guy I first  ignored the Windows-network option, wich was wrong. 

So, case closed, everything works fine now, streaming directly from my Airport Extreme connected to a HD. No otrher computers involved.

Krok58 wrote:

Well, I’m glad to tell you,  TonyPh12345, that you were wrong. Suddenly it just worked perfect! :slight_smile:
Since I’m a Mac-guy I first  ignored the Windows-network option, wich was wrong. 

So, case closed, everything works fine now, streaming directly from my Airport Extreme connected to a HD. No otrher computers involved.

actually Tony is technically right! :smileyvery-happy:

basically the airport doesn’t share anything as a media server would (DLNA)

but when you attach a drive to it, it does share it as a Newtork Share (the Windows network option).

but it’s good you got it working! happy streaming!

Krok58 wrote:

Well, I’m glad to tell you,  TonyPh12345, that you were wrong.

Err, no.  ;)

The APE is NOT a DLNA server.   It is a Samba server, though.

But your first post specifically said “MEDIA SERVER” which is only DLNA.

As your previous post hints, it “suddently” worked because you picked the correct option of “Network Share” instead of Media Server. :wink:

1 Like

Hi, 

I am running the WD Live TV (Wireless) media player as well, and have connected my hard drive to the Airport Extreme and when I go into Network Share → Windows Shares menu and then select my wireless network it asks me for a username and password. What does this username and password mean? What are they linked to and how do I create one in order to access the hard drive vai the wireless network? I have tried entering my networks name and password but it rejects it. Any suggestions?

Many thanks. 

Have you tried using the default details which come up on the screen.

Hi,

I just bought an wd tv live extreme. I’m also a mac guy, and unfortunately, the wd tv live does not see the usb disk connected to my airport extreme. Any tips or tricks ? You seem to have done a wps setup, I’ve just connected using typing a password for my wireless. 

Daniel

WD TV Live Extreme? What’s THAT?