Can my WD TV Live support password protected encrypted My Book 4TB?

Hello,

I an thinking of purchasing one of these drives  https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/wd/wd-my-book-essential-4tb-external-hard-drive/90263/

And I was wondering if I set a password on the drive, will I still be able to use it with my WD TV Live SMP?

Thanks guys.

From what i read a couple of days ago … “forgets” the password

So, yes … it will (should) see all the media contents of the My Book 4TB

I will try and find the post and update this reply with a link.

Yes link please…if it bypasses the password why even bother putting a password on there? And then people could use the WD TV Live devices to access password protected drives and copy data off!

Ok, found it … the post did’nt specifically state the “My Book”

But i would bet $1 the same thing will happen as this with a My Passport Ultra password locked …

Hi, so I just bought your new HDD (My Passport Ultra Metal 2TB) - already own like 4 older versions - and for the first time I decided to use your WD Security on it - assigning a password to the HDD. 

_ So when I plug the HDD to any computer is requires the password and gives me an option to keep it unlocked for computer permanently. _

_ When I plug the HDD to the WD Live… it doesn’t remember / give me that option. _

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-My-Passport-Ultra-Security-WD-LS/td-p/806961

1 Like

Thanks for finding that. It looks like the person in that link is getting asked for the password and it is just that the WD TV Live SMP is asking for the password all the time instead of remembering it. that I can live with.

Thanks!

no probs …

_ So when I plug the HDD to any computer is requires the password and gives me an option to keep it unlocked for computer permanently. _

_ When I plug the HDD to the WD Live… it doesn’t remember / give me that option _

To me that says, when plugged into the wdtv live … _ it doesent ask for a password _ or _ give any option to enter a password._

Oh well, i’m probably reading it wrong  :neutral_face:

EDIT: yep i read it wrong … *Solved* see last post by HDrizzle

“it doesn’t remember / give me that option.” (Option to remember not option to enter password)

Defs reading it wrong, the poster says that the computer remembers the password of the drive but when they plug it into the WD TV Live it doesn’t remember the password or give the option to remember it. Not that it isan’t asking for the password.

Ok, no probs … when you purchase the drive please post what you find.  Thanks

P.S. The 4TB My Book Essential is $10 cheaper at Officeworks

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/western-digital-my-book-essential-desktop-4tb-hard-drive-wdmb4000gb

Yep will do, nice find thanks!

Just gotta find a buyer for my 3TB drive now then I shall go and buy and I’ll let you all know because yea info is really slim on this feature and it’s not in manual eigther!

How much were you thinking for your 3TB ?   (is it My Book or Elements ?  brand new $169-$139)

just curious :smiley: 

As promised keeping you up to date with how I went.

I created a password on the drive, copied my content across and then plugged it in to the WD TV Live SMP and indeed it poped up a message box asking me if I wanted to unlock the drive.

I typed in the password and then it is now compiling the media library so looks like all is well yay!

Yep Library compiled all is well, shares the drive over the network too. Seems to remember the password even if you turn the unit off. I think it is just if it looses power it will prompt for password. Happy :slight_smile:

Also I’m using the previous version firmware because we all know how stuffed up the latest firmware is.

1 Like

Thanks, HDizzle for reporting it works … that’s great :smiley:  kudos