Can I connect WD TV live streaming box to a WD my cloud if I'm not at home?

Hi,

I want to go on holiday in a self catering house, and want to plug in my WDTV live box to TV to watch stuff

Can I acces my WD my cloud device which is at home ?  I won’t be taking a pc or laptop with me, so can I get the WDTV stream to see my WD cloud just with the 2 devices ?

I am not 100% sure, but I don’t think you would be able to do that. Maybe with some 3rd party firmware. You should just get another portable HDD or bring the Cloud HDD with you :slight_smile:

Better option might be to bring just a laptop, that will be able to connect to your home network and just plug HDMI cable from it to the TV (if your laptop and the TV support it).

I don’t own a MyCloud ,but looking at this … looks like it needs to be on your Home Network, which isn’t what you what.

(personally, my advice … buy a 1TB / 2TB portable drive, fill it up with TV Shows, and take it, and the WDTV with you while you’re away on holiday)

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mc&faq=playContent

Isn’t the reason for having ‘Cloud’ storage being able to access it from anywhere with network connection?  Seems very silly to only be able to access it via LAN.

Rob

rspierenburg wrote:

Isn’t the reason for having ‘Cloud’ storage being able to access it from anywhere with network connection?  Seems very silly to only be able to access it via LAN.

Rob

You can access it from anywhere on the platforms described in the documentation – iOS, Android, Mac, and PC.

The WD TV doesn’t fall into those categories.