Best Firmware

My media player currently have the firmware of 1.07.18. I haven’t updated it and I’m wondering which firmware is the best to update my media player. I’ve seen the current firmware 2.02.32 has a few problems. I would like to avoid any problems when updating my media player. Any suggestions? Or should I just leave my playe alone.

Everyone is basically happy with 2.01.86

I was on 2.02.32 and backdated to it happily.

There I will stay till something better comes along  :slight_smile:

louwin wrote:

Everyone is basically happy with 2.01.86

I was on 2.02.32 and backdated to it happily.

There I will stay till something better comes along  :slight_smile:

I agree. I’m running the 2.01.86 with very few issues.  2.02.32 was horrific.

deleted per mod

Like you say, you takes your choice… You MAY be lucky.

I use my WD TV Live SMP to watch an occassional TV Series or movie. I ALWAYS do a complete shutdown at the end, you know - 5 second press. Library OFF and Windows shares off my desktop, NAS and USB XHDD’s on the modem.

I have had mine for a couple of years(?) - perfect!  The occassional freeze otherwise - perfect.

On 2.02.32 my TV would go dark for a couple of seconds, sometimes a couple of minutes.  The sound would be there but the screen would be off.

Went back to 2.01.86 back to perfect again.

Luck of the draw?  :smiley:

ncarver wrote:

Frankly, I had enough problems with the 2.01.x firmware on one box that I rolled that it back to 1.16.x, so saying that everyone was happy with 2.01.x is just not true.

Indeed. Currently using firmware 2.01.86 here and still experiencing lots of bugs such as memory leakage and random reboots. It’s actually quite annoying the fact that this litte box needs a memory refresh (system restart) every 30-40 minutes after watching Netflix or browsing through some videos on Youtube. Maybe we’ll have a look at 1.16.x again sometime.

deleted per mod

Any Idea when new firmware is coming out, the last one was not stable at all as far as youtube is concerned. 

malik43 wrote:

Any Idea when new firmware is coming out, the last one was not a stable one for your as far as youtube is concerned. 

nope, no idea …  :neutral_face:

(but hopefully sooner rather than later)

The WDTV Media Player (2014) got one today [which i tried, and seems to be ok] … so i’m hoping SMP users will get an update as well. Keep checking “News & Announcements” i guess

JoeySmyth wrote:

malik43 wrote:

Any Idea when new firmware is coming out, the last one was not a stable one for your as far as youtube is concerned. 

nope, no idea …  :neutral_face:

(but hopefully sooner rather than later)

The WDTV Media Player (2014) got one today [which i tried, and seems to be ok] … so i’m hoping SMP users will get an update as well. Keep checking “News & Announcements” i guess

So still no SMP update in the week since the other player got theirs?

Hello,

I have seen a couple made already several experiences with the current WDTVLive Software version  Release 2.02.32 …

which seems to have several problems…as some I have encountered that Release 2.02.32 doesn’t play all *.mp4 files
Some are played/some NOT

As most and recommended is to roll-back to xyz… I have rolled back to: 2.01.86 and??? mp4 files are playing, BUT DTS failed

Usually in ver: 2.01.86 is DTS implemented …I do have several Movie files with different encoded sound settings…from AAC…AC3 to DTS …those movies which have incl. DTS are in version 2.01.86 only shown up with AAV sounds…

Therefore my question: does anybody made similar experiences? which is the best Rollback? is there any way to get release 2.01.86 working INCL: DTS?

thx, and have a nice time

There is no DTS fail in 2.01.86. It’s possible you’re setting it to DTS passthrough and your AVR cannot handle DTS-MA.

I upgraded from 1.10.13 to 2.01.86, everything was fine except, it would output sound through stereo even though I had HDMI pass through only selected, next day for some reason no files would play, so I upgraded to 2.02.32, all is fine now except for the same issue sound output through stereo on at all times, hopefully they can fix that in the next upgrade.

Not exactly the same scenario, but DTS works on my 2.0.32 using Optical output. Don’t forget to go into submenu below DTS Passthru and select DTS capable receiver. In HDMI Only menu it might be under Manual Setup. Also, make sure you don’t just check them all, only the ones your hardware supports, because it might choose an output encoding that your receiver is not capable of. Perhaps if you have an optical cable laying around you could hook it up that way just for a test.

DTS also worked for me on 2.01.86.

knitz wrote:

Hello,

I have seen a couple made already several experiences with the current WDTVLive Software version  Release 2.02.32 …

which seems to have several problems…as some I have encountered that Release 2.02.32 doesn’t play all *.mp4 files
Some are played/some NOT

As most and recommended is to roll-back to xyz… I have rolled back to: 2.01.86 and??? mp4 files are playing, BUT DTS failed

Usually in ver: 2.01.86 is DTS implemented …I do have several Movie files with different encoded sound settings…from AAC…AC3 to DTS …those movies which have incl. DTS are in version 2.01.86 only shown up with AAV sounds…

Therefore my question: does anybody made similar experiences? which is the best Rollback? is there any way to get release 2.01.86 working INCL: DTS?

thx, and have a nice time

I should have never upgraded, I want my 1.10.13 firmware back, will try later on to rollback…

Went back to: 1.10.13

Love it, everything works as it should, from here on out, not touching it…

What is better about 1.10.13?

I am on 2.01.86, and although it streams all my stuff very well, it does require a reboot daily if I use Youtube. I believe this is also the case with Netflix, which I have just started using.

If 1.10.13 fixes these things without making DLNA streaming compatibility worse, then I would be very interested in this.

Where do I get 1.10.13? And are there instructions as to how to downgrade to it.

Finally, if I did that and needed to get back to 2.01.86, how do i get that firmware and install it?

Regards.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Finally, if I did that and needed to get back to 2.01.86, how do i get that firmware and install it?

Same place

Thanks for that.

Getting back to the thread subject, what do people consider to be the best firmware, and please give your reasons.

Regards,

I was probably the happiest with 2.01.86. I have two WD TV Live, currently one on 2.01.86 and one on 2.02.32. I had them both current, then took both back to 2.01.86, then updated one again just because if I’m going to report a problem I think I should be on the current release if there is to be even a glimmer of hope that someone at WD cares.

2.02.32 messed up the shortcut keys, a feature that I liked, but that’s just a small inconvenience.

Both releases I have to reboot frequently if I use Youtube.

Both releases I have to reboot sometimes after Netflix.

On 2.02.32 sometimes I get a warning message that system memory is low and offering a reboot prior to it locking up.

Both releases I am able to play my videos from file shares on my home network. Seems like I can do this as much as I want without having to reboot. I have not had any problems with videos that will not play or audio output working differently (as some have reported) or anything like that.

On 2.02.32 sometimes the sound will not play on Youtube and I have to reboot to get it back.

I have a HDHomeRun box that I use to send OTA TV via DLNA and I watch that quite a bit on both releases and have a few problems, but not all WD’s fault, SiliconDust has firmware issues too. I never know which one I’m going to have to reboot to get it working again. Usually WD, but that does not mean that they caused the problem - I know the HDHR does some weird stuff on the network because I see it in my router logs.

I waited a while before updating to 2.02.32 because I wanted to see how many horror stories there were. It didn’t seem too bad so I went ahead with it. It only took me a couple days to put both boxes back on 2.01.86, so I know I was not too happy at the time. I’ve had one box back on 2.02.32 for several weeks now and it really isn’t that hard to live with as long as I work in a few pre-emptive reboots.

So really no clear winner for me but see my first para: Most software support organizations turn their attention to the current release.