BBC Iplayer slow loading

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else had issues loading the bbc iplayer service ? I am sure it has slowed down drastically to the point it is almost unusable now.

I launch the app and the Iplayer spinning logo comes up with the pink progress bar and then it slowly loads over a few minutes (sometime just stops).

I am using the latest firmware on a wired connection. Netflix seems to work fine.

Anybody know what it is loading with the progress bar ? It is the app itself or data from bbc ?

I have iplayer on a blu-ray player and that seems to be fine with loading.

Thanks

Simon

This might be some kind of iplayer network congestion, when I tried again at 11:30pm it was fine and this morning it loaded within 10 seconds.

I am having this problem as well.

I am based in Scotland.  When I first set up my WD SMP I could get into BBC iplayer without any probem, but couldn’t get into netflix.   So I used the Unblock-us.com website and their DNS server address to access Netflix and log into my account.  I then changed my DNS addresses to those provided by OpenDNS.com.

I can still access Netflix but now can’t get into BBC iplayer. 

bjlabuk

Yes, I also have the same problem (for the past 2-3 weeks or so). No problem accessing other internet services (including netflix), but BBC iplayer takes ages or freezes while loading and even on the rare occasions it’s finally loaded, it seems to freeze every time I try to play something. It’s really annoying: having BBC player was one of the main reason why I upgraded my WD TV… I am also in Scotland if that matters…

gowgowuk wrote:

Yes, I also have the same problem (for the past 2-3 weeks or so). No problem accessing other internet services (including netflix), but BBC iplayer takes ages or freezes while loading and even on the rare occasions it’s finally loaded, it seems to freeze every time I try to play something. It’s really annoying: having BBC player was one of the main reason why I upgraded my WD TV… I am also in Scotland if that matters…

Try a reset to factory defaults using the internal menu.

I tried resetting only the online services first with no succes. Then I tried resetting everything to factory settings: Still the same problem! I guess it might be some strange specific problem with that particular internet address (since all other services are working fine) that I should maybe take to my ISP (O2), especially if no one else has this problem. BBC iplayer is working fine on my laptop too! Does someone know what could be different between the BBC service and the others?

That’s a coincidence!  I live in Scotland and am on O2 too !   I tried factory resetting everything and ended up not getting onto anything !  I had to reconnect my router, and went through the whole process of using the Unblock-us.com website again to log on to Netflix.  Once I had established that connection I changed my router DNS settings to the Google Public DNS settings.  I was still able to get Netflix.  When I tried BBC iplayer it took ages getting to the home screen.  I was then able to get to the TV section and BBC HD, but when I tried to stream a Top Gear episode I got a server error message.

Don’t know what the issue is.  Maybe the BBC Iplayer service can detect whether your DNS server is based in the UK or not, and if not you can’t get access .   I have looked for free public dns servers in the UK but can’t find any.  But then if I changed to a UK based server I might not get onto Netflix. 

Bit disappointed that Netflix advertise on UK TV and in the press  as being able to provide instant streaming, yet the reality is you have to go through a convoluted process to get the service, at the expense of BBC iplayer!

bjlabuk wrote:

That’s a coincidence!  I live in Scotland and am on O2 too !   I tried factory resetting everything and ended up not getting onto anything !  I had to reconnect my router, and went through the whole process of using the Unblock-us.com website again to log on to Netflix.  Once I had established that connection I changed my router DNS settings to the Google Public DNS settings.  I was still able to get Netflix.  When I tried BBC iplayer it took ages getting to the home screen.  I was then able to get to the TV section and BBC HD, but when I tried to stream a Top Gear episode I got a server error message.

Don’t know what the issue is.  Maybe the BBC Iplayer service can detect whether your DNS server is based in the UK or not, and if not you can’t get access .   I have looked for free public dns servers in the UK but can’t find any.  But then if I changed to a UK based server I might not get onto Netflix. 

Bit disappointed that Netflix advertise on UK TV and in the press  as being able to provide instant streaming, yet the reality is you have to go through a convoluted process to get the service, at the expense of BBC iplayer!

I use opendns and I get iPlayer and Netflix OK. Most dns providers like google and opendns have servers worldwide.

Can you get iPlayer and Netflix on your PC?

Yes,

I get Netflix and iplayer and can get into BBC HD, although I can’t seem to download the iplayer Desktop.  Have to say though BBC iplayer is pretty slow loading even on my PC

Hi,

Just to say that I just had a Firmware update (now 1.07.15) and it now works perfectly fine, without me changing anything else.

Hello,

There was a problem with O2 which got resolved arround the 29th . I too couldn’t connect to iplayer for a couple of weeks but working fine now.