Android and iOS app to browse and play media on wdtv smp

Hi

I’ve just bought a wdtv live smp and its working great so far. Love it!

I have an external hdd plugged into the USB port that holds my music and the wdtv plugs into the TV with the audio outputting through a receiver.

The receiver has a second set of speakers attached, which are in another room. I’ve been trying to find an app that would allow me to sit in the other room and browse the media on the hdd connected to the wdtv and play it.

I’ve found plenty of apps that replace the remote but none that allow me to browse the media library on my Android tablet or iPad.

There is no HTPC or other device in between, just direct between the wdtv and tanker over wifi.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I don’t know if that is possible.

You are looking for one application that can control the media player from a different room.

The WD smp uses infrared signal so to control it, you will need to be infront of the media player.

Except you can control the wdtv via wifi, not infrared, using the official wdtv app. But this is only a direct alternative to the remote. It doesn’t have extra functionality

Except you can control the wdtv via wifi, not infrared, using the official wdtv app. But this is only a direct alternative to the remote. It doesn’t have extra functionality

Yes, I played with that wifi interface briefly.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seemed to have very minimal functionality, much less than the remote, and seemed useless except for a few tasks.

No, you’re right. The wifi remote app adds no value what so ever. I was just hoping someone might have invented a useful one :slight_smile: