Alaska Theme for WDTV Live Streaming (Revised 3-12-12)

okay, I got this theme finally looking good on my wdtv smp, but one last question, how do you remove the backdrop images?  I’ve got all my movies in one folder, and each one shows a background image, how do I remove this or set it to use the same image for all movies so I can get it to look like this even during the day, any help would be greatly appreciated

@wulfie:

Glad you got it working.  So to not show backdrops that are downloaded by WDTV SMP, you need adjust the following line in the rv_gallery_browse_page.xml from this:

<image image=“@@preview_rect_image” default_image=“@@default_preview_rect_image” x=“0” y=“0” w=“1280” h=“720” textcolor=“@@preview_rect_color” keycolor=“1” ignore_keycolor=“1” bg=“1”/>

to this (changes highlighted in red):

<!–image image=“@@preview_rect_image” default_image=“@@default_preview_rect_image” x=“0” y=“0” w=“1280” h=“720” textcolor=“@@preview_rect_color” keycolor=“1” ignore_keycolor=“1” bg=“1”/ >

This will just disable this portion of the theme that way if you want to turn it back on at some point you can just remove the part you changed.  You can also just delete this whole line as well.  This will enable the default movie image to show in the background.  

Good Luck!

so that would leave me with a black background instead of the image that my wdtv downloaded for each movie?

@starwarsclark:

Based on your request, I’m going to assume you are refering to the gallery view in the original Alaska theme, correct?

If so you can adjust the position on the thumbnails fairly easily.  You’ll just need to edit the file named rv_gallery_browse_page.xml.  What you’ll want to adjust are just the "y=“xx” " values for the thumbnails and the overlays.  This controls the vertical position of the thumbnails.  The value for “y” can range from 0 to 720, 0 being at the top of the screen and 720 at the bottom.  The top of the thumbnails start at the “y” value listed so you need to ensure that the “y” value plus the height of the thumb does not exceed 720 or else it will not show on the screen (i.e., y=500, thumb height is 250, 500+250>720).

Once you’ve made your changes, just re-zip and upload the new theme via the web.

Good luck and feel free to post back if you need more help.

@wulfie,

It should leave you with the same image that appears as the backdrop for the other video browse views which is a picture of theater seats.   

The black background just shows up when you take a screen shot.  It won’t show  backdrop images for some reason.

is there any way I can change the image of the theater seats?  I’d like something like a plain dark grey image if possible

@wulfie:

Absolutely, you just need to change the image titled “video_browse_video_icon.png” or “video_gallery_video_icon.png” (I can’t remember which one of these two is used in this view) to whatever image you want.  Just make sure the image is 1280 x 720 and try to aim for a smaller file size (<500kb). 

@desertwedge

Yesterday I noticed this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/AEonish-Hub-BG-Home-Mod-for-Fw20610-amp-Fw20413/td-p/217204/highlight/true

On that page is a modified Alaska home screen where the selected menu options is bigger than the other “buttons”. Is this possible with your theme?

Thanks for the reply.

To confirm I am referring to the menu items (as in settings, files, videos, games etc) as they sit in the middle of the screen, I would like to move these to the bottom of the main menu screen.

Would I do it using the instructions you provided earlier please?

@Dikkiedikdik:

It is possible but kind of works differently than what I’m doing right now. I think (not positive about this) what was done with the views being shown is that  the selected “icon” is actually an entire page (1280x720).  So when you change between icons you are actually changing the whole page if that makes sense.  At least this is what I’m guessing at  what was done  as this is how his Aeon theme is setup.  You could ask Joey as well to see if this is how he accomplished this.

@starwarsclark:

Understand now what you are wanting to do.  You can certainly do this but will involve a little bit of work.  You’ll need to modify the rv_home.xml file as well as all the image files named main_…_n.png (the home page icons).  

All of the image icons are currently 320x497.  You can crop as much as you want from these but it needs to be consistent between all the icons.  Once you have your new icon size (320 x height of your new icons), you’ll need to modify the xml file.  The line in the xml you’ll need to modify is below: 

<mlmenuview ctrlname=“rv-home-menu” changed=“@@rv-home-menu-changed” style=“rv_home” draw_init_animation=“0” x=“0” y=“223” w=“1280” h=“497” display_item_cnt=“5”/>

You need to change the highlighted value for “y” to the value of 720 - the height of your new icons and the highlighted value for “h” to the height of your new icons.  “y” + “h” should equal 720.  Save the changes, zip the theme file and uploaded via the web.  That should be it.  Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks Desertwedge, really helpful, sounds a bit out of my league, but I am happy to have a go at some point.

Would you ever consider it as a standard on your next release? Please, pretty please…

@desertwedge

I totally understand, I thought the same about the menu, but I thought: I can better ask you instead of missing something nice.

I created my own theme now, I took the original mochi theme and I inserted your large video browse xml page and some pictures and it works perfect. And I bought a full hdtv to get rid of the problems I had with my screensize. So all things perfect.

Hi , i also tried to move the buttons movies , pictures , settings and etc. down to the screen. But these procedure didn’t worked. I set Y=700 and H=20. Where’s my mistake , with these settings when i start my SMP the buttons are at middle of the screen and when i press left or right they disappeared ?

If you want the menu at the bottom it is perhaps easier to use the original theme and convert the menu as you wish and import parts of this great Alaska theme?

You can download the original theme here (well, not totally 100% original because I corrected some small mistakes wd made):

http://www.mediafire.com/?d0d9tmx0m5eadgn

For example, if you want the orginal theme with the menu at the bottom and you like the large movie view wall (with the large icons), here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?onn6s24tlytd4f8

I don’t have the time unfortunatelly to build what you guys would like, I am building at the moment a kids playground in my backyard and that takes a lot of time . But perhaps somebody else can help. It is not really dificult. Abatt, you cant set y to 700 because the icons are much larger (320x497), perhaps you changed the icons to 20x497, at what I can think of with the information you give that’s the main problem.

And now I have my new and big full hdtv the menu is as it should be, what do I love this litte mediaplayer.

@starwarsclark & abatt:

I’ll try to help but this might take me a little time as right now I’m occupied w/ other things, some of which might give you want you are looking for.  

abatt,

Did you change the size of the icons so that they are only have a height of 20 as well?  If not, that is causing the problem you are seeing.

@ Dikkiedikdik

Glad to hear it.  Part of my hope in doing this from the beginning was to get other people involved in the process as well. The more people that are working/developing things for the box, the better it will be for all of us in the end.

I just resized all the main_*_icon_n.png canvas size - 320x262 and the buttons appeared down to my TV :slight_smile: I didn’t touch anything in the xml files.

@ abatt,

Would you mind uploading to a location where others might be able to grab them? This might help out a couple of people at least.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gb999hr4hsovgb2