Alaska Theme for WDTV Live Streaming (Revised 3-12-12)

Thank you!! What moviesheets work with this theme?

Looks awesome, thanks for your efforts.  I especially like the new home screen with the centred ‘tabs’ instead of the ones across the bottom.

I noticed a couple of small bugs, I’m on Fw 1.04.12

1.  The clock on the home screen is positioned so that most of the last digit does not show.

2.  In the video view mode with 3 rows x 8 columns, the cursor highlight does not show when selecting movies on the third row.  Also, when selecting the last movie on the second row, both that and the movie below are highlighted.

Apart from that, the theme looks schmick!

Cheers

Dave

Wow, this is a great looking theme, a huge thanks for creating it.

I notice though that when you are in videos (probably other but not checked as I do not use any of the others) and press down to get to the shortcut/dashboard that you cannot scroll left or right to choose favourites/new items/queue etc (well I can’t anyway)

I hope that makes sense.

Brilliant work.

Rubicon99

Thanks for the input.  I think the clock not showing has to do with overscan.  I know on my tv I had to adjust the screen size to 95% to get everything to show.  I can adjust the clock though so it will show with overscan.

On your second item, I noticed that as well for the large video browse.  Will go in and adjust the xml to fix this.  

Thanks for the input & glad you enjoy it.

bmoney789

I set up this theme not to use movie sheets because when I’ve used them in the past they tended not to work for me.  You should be able to use the default images & text the Live Streaming finds during its scans to get the images & text shown in the screen shots. 

starwarsclark

I’ll have to look into this.  This is not a feature I’ve typically used before so I’m not how this is suppose to typically work.

Thanks for taking a look, typically if you press the down arrow on the remote when at the videos screen a new dashboard pops up where you can see things like queue/favourites etc, you can then press down again to get to any files etc that you have added to a queue or favourite. If you highlight any of the menu items (queue or favourites etc) the files you have added change but you have to press the left or right arrow buttons to make this happen and this feature appears to not work in your excellent theme.

I am using the latest SMP firmware, it could potentially be working correctly in the previous firmware - maybe someone else can check that out and add their findings to this thread.

Hi there !

Sorry but i don’t understand how to install the theme ! Log in into WD Live from where? From my mac ? When i Log In I don’t have any direction !

Thanks in advance !

EDIT :

Ok great I understand !

Is there any way to install the AEonish WDTV Live HUB theme on the WDTV Live Streaming?

That’s a great questions. I’d also like to know. I could have sworn that I read that people were using it…but when you go to the thread, this is what it says…

NO COMPATABILITY  SUPPORT FOR WDTV STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER (SMP)

(This Theme is designed for the Western Digital Live Hub Media Player)

You can certainly do it, especially for the home screen, but would require you to modify a couple of xml files and add a few graphics to make it compatible w/ the Live Streaming.  The xml you would need to modify for the home screen would be the rv_home.xml & the inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml.  Both of these files can be found in the theme I posted.  I would look at these two files & their associated images of the theme you are wanting to replicate to figure out the changes that need to be made.

@natebetween

NO COMPATABILITY  SUPPORT FOR WDTV STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER (SMP)
(This Theme is designed for the Western Digital Live Hub Media Player)

The above ‘Statement’ means … I wrote it for the Live Hub, I do not own an SMP and therefore i can not provide any

Help, Assistance or “Support” for it’s operation or compatability on another device which i dont own.

It does not say ‘It wont work’  if it didnt “work” i would have stated that fact.

Maybe i should change the statement to “Written for the Live Hub, happy to Answer Live Hub related Questions.”

Natebetween:

It is possible, but as Joey mentions, not supported. If you’re still interested in giving it a go, knowing the dev doesn’t own an SMP, or have any way of supporting your problems (which IMO is more than fair enough) -  go here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/%C3%86onish-Hub-Final-Release/td-p/181990/page/67 (and page 65). There are some instructions of people having tried it there. 

I’ve tried it and it works for the most part. I can’t get the backgrounds and thumbnails to work correctly in certain views. Other than that, it seems fully functional to me.

Sorry for the interruption, back to Alaska theme. It looks awesome by the way, and I’m looking forward to giving it a go on my SMP.

The theme on the first page of this topic has been updated.  The only change from the previous theme posted was to correct a bug with the large video browse page.  If instead of downloading the updated theme you would just like to update for this change, the link below provides the updated:

Update

The file you download is a single xml file.  Just add this file to the zip file you already downloaded & update the theme via the web WDTV Live “appearances”.  

I’m planning on trying this out on mine soon, will let you know how it goes.

One question… does this (or any other theme for that matter) alter how fast the WDTV Live loads the metadata? For example, if I go from movie A - > movie B, movie B’s metadata text is loaded ~5 seconds before movie B’s artwork, with movie A’s artwork still displayed.

@jwlyons

I believe this is more a function of the size of the artwork than any theming you do to the device.  In the live hub theming section they have mentioned you can adjust the amount of time between changing artwork for a particular movie (artwork 1 → artwork 2) but I have not seen anything to speed the load time of the artwork.  Hope this helps.

I have the latest firmware (1.06.04) and this theme simply isn’t working for me as it’s described in the op.

I stream my files using network shares, so when I go to the videos thumbnail (in the Alaska theme) it actually shows the file tree like in the default “Mochi” theme: a list of shared folders on my network. Once I find the movie files in the correct folder, it’s just the same as the default theme: an ugly list of movie files.

Is WD releasing firmware every other day or something? I’d like to use this theme, but I’d like to stay on top of the firmware updates. Do I have to choose one or the other? Also, is this theme going to be adjusted for 1.06.04?

Thank you to those who contributed to making this theme. It looks lovely, and I’d really like to use it on my box.

@excellence

I have not had a a chance to look at the new firmware yet to see if this theme is compatible with it.  From what you are describing, it does not sound like it is.  I’ll take a look at the new firmware probably over the weekend to see if this theme can relatively easily be made compatible with the latest firmware.

@desertwedge

Sounds great, thank you. I’ll check back later on after or during the weekend.

I notice a glitch in this theme …

When you highlight a movie thumb and click ‘options’ 

Scroll down to “Rate”

Only 3 stars are displayed instead of 5. Part of a star is cut off around the edges.

Fennec wrote:

I notice a glitch in this theme …

When you highlight a movie thumb and click ‘options’ 

Scroll down to “Rate”

Only 3 stars are displayed instead of 5. Part of a star is cut off around the edges.

@Fennec,

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ll look into this when I get the chance.  Right now though my WDTV Streaming is bricked so I can’t really test anything till I fix that.  Should be able to look into though by next weekend.