AC router plus AC Adaptor -will it improve performance watching large video files?

I am considering changing to an AC router (Linksys EA6900) and plugging in an AC Adaptor into my WD Live. Will it work? Normally I wire my WD Live to my network because I have struggled with performance in the past wirelessly even with a good media router hub. It’s a room I can’t run an Ethernet cable to.

What AC adaptor are you going to use? I would assume that you would have to use some sort of Ethernet to AC adaptor as USB adaptors do not work with the live streaming.

You would need to purchase a wireless media bridge that has AC capabilities and then use the ethernet port of the WDTV.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388674297&sr=8-2&keywords=AC+media+bridge

If your current router has 5Ghz capabilities, you may want to see how well its 5Ghz signal travels to your new WDTV location before you spend a bunch of money on new equipment.

Thanks, that was an excellent tip because it helps me address a similar issue with my GBox. But I am a bit confused, based on the 1st reply did I post in the wrong Forum? I have a WD Live Media Streaming Player which I have a USB AC Adaptor currently plugged into the front of the WD Live unit (I don’t have a AC router yet). But I can watch smaller TV video files from my NAS wirelessly. Where it bogs down is playing an 8 gig movie.

just my 2cents

AC bridge or adaptor will not help

1. usb adaptors don’t work on WD SMP

2. AC bridge can be connected via ethernet to RJ45

— However, WD only has a 100 Mb port

— 2x N is also 300 Mb, 3x N is 450, etc … already way above the 100 Mb ports limitations

what you will see if you choose to use a bridge is a more stable connection

but ultimately throughput will be limited by the 100 Mb port

deanders wrote:

Thanks, that was an excellent tip because it helps me address a similar issue with my GBox. But I am a bit confused, based on the 1st reply did I post in the wrong Forum? I have a WD Live Media Streaming Player which I have a USB AC Adaptor currently plugged into the front of the WD Live unit (I don’t have a AC router yet). But I can watch smaller TV video files from my NAS wirelessly. Where it bogs down is playing an 8 gig movie.

But are you using the AC adaptor or the built in wifi? What is the AC usb adaptor actually doing if anything?

richUK wrote:

deanders wrote:

But are you using the AC adaptor or the built in wifi? What is the AC usb adaptor actually doing if anything?

Yeah this is the question that needs to be addressed.  My guess is that the original poster is using the built in wifi because from what everyone says, usb adapters don’t work with the WD TV Live SMP.  So the USB adapter that he has is not doing anything…and even if it did work on the WD TV it probably wouldn’t be doing anything to help if he doesn’t already have a 5Ghz capable router.

To the original poster…what router do you currently have, where is it located relative to where you want to put the WDTV (ballpark distance estimation, how many walls does it have to go through, upstairs vs. downstairs)?

As far as port limitations the on the WD, the reason to purchase the media bridge is to give the WDTV the best possible connection available.  It also allows you to place the media bridge somewhere else in the room that may allow you to achieve a better wireless signal where you can also run an ethernet cable to the WDTV.

Another option would be to figure out where exactly in the house/apartment you could run an ethernet cable to that would produce a strong enough wifi signal for the WDTV to operate correctly.  Then you could put a old/second router in AP mode and have stronger Wifi throughout the house.