Screen randomly goes black when watching Netflix over HDMI

by on ‎04-12-2012 07:18 PM

-     Which firmware?

1.07.18 and all previous versions
-     What happened?

While watching Netflix over HDMI, the screen will randomly go black with no sound (every couple of minutes).  The black out lasts a second or two and then everything comes back. The video continues to play in the background. There is no rebuffering. This only happens with Netflix over HDMI and not while watching movies streamed from a network server (also over HDMI).
-     What were you doing?

Watching Netflix.
-     Does this happen every time?

Yes
-     What hardware and media were you using?

TV - Insignia 42" LCD

WDTV - Live Streaming and previously happened with  Live Plus as well.
-     Did this happen with previous firmware?

Yes.
-     Does power cycling the unit solve this?

No.
-     Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

No.
-     Have you tried this on other devices?

As mentioned above, this has been happening for over a year.  It started with the Live Plus and continues with the Streaming. The TV has been looked at.  It has no firmware updates and has had the main board replaced. I have also tried multiple HDMI cables.

This issue does not happen when using the Netflix in my Blueray player (also with HDMI). 

With the previous WDTV Model, I just used component output. This didn't have the blanking out issue, but it made Netflix only output in 480 resolution.

This all leads me to believe that the issue has something to do with the HDMI handshake.

Comments
by Moderator on ‎04-13-2012 06:40 AM
Status changed to: In Review

by Moderator on ‎07-20-2012 11:27 AM
Unless this has not been fixed with the current firmware, we will close this issue out due to its age.
by on ‎07-20-2012 03:11 PM

There have been no changes.  The screen still randomly goes blank when using HDMI.

by Moderator on ‎07-28-2012 01:07 PM
Status changed to: Investigating

by on ‎07-31-2012 05:56 PM

Still occuring in firmware 1.10.13

by on ‎07-31-2012 08:52 PM

been watching Netflix for a few hours on FW 1.10.13 and have not seen this.

can you list a few titles that you've see this on?

by on ‎07-31-2012 10:49 PM

It doesn't matter what I watch; it happens on EVERYTHING (kids cartoons, tv shows, movies, etc)  but only on Netflix. I can watch youtube and ripped dvds (iso) without a problem.  It is so bad that I have resorted to using the inferior Netflix experience on my blu-ray player.  The blu-ray player does not exhibit the same blanking out.

by on ‎07-31-2012 11:56 PM

do you have another Tv with HDMI to try this on?

also are you using a wireless or wired connection?

thanks.

by on ‎08-01-2012 04:49 AM

I don't have another HDMI capable TV.  I thought about using an adapter for my computer monitor, but that would just be another set of possible issues.

The network connection is wired 100Mbs.

by on ‎10-20-2012 03:35 PM

I am having the same problem.  Does not matter what I watch on Netflix.  Sometimes it happens every few minutes and sometimes it goes for an hour without happening.

I also have Insignia 42" LCD that is 1 year old.  I purchased the WD TV last week and upgraded the firmware immediately.  I did not test anything before the firmware upgrade.  The unit is wired to 100mb with uVerse 20mb DL.

I am thinking it may have something to do with streaming?  Maybe it goes black when the internet connection slows down?

Announcements
The Live Streaming Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD