Loses connection to USB HDD

by on ‎01-23-2012 03:32 PM
Which firmware were you using? 1.06.04
What exactly happened? Picture freezes and after a while WD TV Live tells me something like that the USB drive is disconnected. Exakt message in swedish is:
"Varning
Utför säker utmatning av USB-enheten innan den tas bort. Välj en ny innehållskälla eftersom den ursprungliga innehållskällan har kopplats ifrån."
Directly translated to english it would be something like this:
"Warning
Perform a safe removal of the USB-unit before it is disconnected. Choose a new source since the old source has been disconnected."
This happens from time to time but more frequently when watching a 1080p file than e.g. a 720p or lower resolution.
After this happens the only way to use WD TV Live again is to disconnect the power or make a restart from the settings menu. It then rebuilds the Media Library which takes quite a long time. 
What you were doing? Watching a mkv-file.
What hardware and media were you using? WD TV Live gen 3, Western Digital My Passport Essential 3.0 SE 1TB connected to the rear USB.

Does it happen every time? No, but every other time I watch a movie
Does it happen with previous firmware? Yes, it has happend with all previous firmware.
Does power cycling the unit solve it? Yes and no. If I remove the power completely it rebuilds the Media Library but if I only turn off the device using the remote it will not solve the problem.
Does resetting to factory defaults solve it? Haven't tried.
Have you tried this on other devices? No
Note:
The WD USB HDD has USB 3.0
Comments
by on ‎02-09-2012 07:17 PM
I have the exact same problem with the WD SMP and the exact same WD HDD. Connecting the drive to the front port seems to have solved the problem for me. However this is a poor solution since my permanent drive is connected to the front (it is quite ugly to always have a wire there, it breaks the neat look) and it is not practical since I have to fumble to plug USB Keys to the rear. This is a shame since this is preventing the device to work as expected.
by on ‎02-21-2012 05:54 AM

Finally, I found the place to say I have the problem with My Live box, does not recognise the WD 1TB book, I can connect to computer and the drive works.  when I connect to the live box nothing.  Interestingly I have lost all the lights at the front of the WD Book

by ‎03-05-2012 05:59 AM - edited ‎03-25-2012 02:48 AM

I have the exact same problem with the WD SMP. HDD WD 750GB USB 3.0 (WDBPCK7500ABK-EESN). Connecting the drive to the rear USB port  picture freezes and after a while WD TV Live tells me something like that the USB drive is disconnected.

This happens  when watching big file 1080p .

I tried firmware - 1.04.12  , 1.05.18 ,1.07.15 with resetting to factory defaults.No results.

WD SMP (WD WDBGXT0000NBK-EESN, P/N:WDBGXT0000NBK-01)

by ‎03-06-2012 02:01 AM - edited ‎03-06-2012 02:03 AM

Same exact problem here, I have a mybook essential 2tb. The video freezes when I'm watching mkv 1080 or 720p files, and it disconnects the mybook. To make it work again I have to reboot the livetv, unplug and plug back again the hard disk. All is updated with the last firmware.

Also I have another little problem witch I don't know if it is linked with this one. With all files the audio stops working for a couple of seconds at random times and then it resumes as nothing happend. With mine it happens only with SD files, becuse the HD files freeze, but I tried my mybook on my friend's live HUB, and it gave me the same problem. It didn't freeze with HD files, but the audio problem remains the same.

The files are ok, I checked them on my pc.

by Moderator on ‎03-06-2012 01:47 PM
Status changed to: In Review

by on ‎03-08-2012 02:22 AM

Same problem here; my WD Live TV seems to eject my WD Elements 1TB (USB 2.0/3.0) during playback. Had movies (.mkv) freezing a couple of times before, and now they won't resume at all. A reset (unplugging power cable and plugging it back in) temporarily solves the problem, but after a couple of minutes, the movie freezes again. Running on the latest firmware.

by on ‎03-14-2012 03:02 AM

Update: movies haven't been freezing since I started using the front USB port. Had audio problems once though.

by on ‎03-24-2012 03:17 PM

I have two WD USB3 1TB 2.5" portable drives and also a Verbatim USB 3 1TB drive.  All of these will be "randomly ejected" when plugged in to the WDTV Live Streaming rear port while playing a 1080p mkv or somettimes even a 720p mkv, generally within seconds of PLAY being pressed.

When these drives are plugged into the front USB port, there is no issue, playback is perfect.  As has been pointed out elsewhere, it seems as if the rear USB socket cannot accomodate all of the USB plug.

For my application, it is not practical for me to have cables out the front.

WD have been selling USB3 portable drives for 12-18 months before the release of the WDTV Live Streaming and never thought to test their own products on the WDTV?  I will refrain from commenting because I am sure to say something bad, other than to ask: What else did they not test?

I bought three WDTV streamers.  All three will be being returned if this is not fixed.  As will the WD USB3 drives, I will spend my dollars elsewhere.

by on ‎03-30-2012 02:10 PM

Mmm, have -exactly- the same gear as the thread starter and same problem.. looks like a WD-problem for sure.. not exactly thrilled to experience this on the first day since purchase..

Announcements
The Live Streaming Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD