Firmware 1.07.15 does not show Windows 7 Network Shares

by ‎03-01-2012 06:33 AM - edited ‎03-01-2012 01:14 PM

After upgrading WD TV Live to 1.07.15, I can no longer see any of my Windows 7 Network Shares in Content Source.

Tried everything suggested to fix it, including power recycling and reboot of WD TV Live, WIndows machines, router,

and switches without success.

I will attempt to return to the prior firmware release.

Which firmware were you using? 1.07.15

What exactly happened? Windows file sharing stopped working

What you were doing? Attempting to connect to any Windows Network Share

What hardware and media were you using? Multiple Windows PCs

Does it happen every time? YES

Does it happen with previous firmware? NO

Does power cycling the unit solve it? NO

Does resetting to factory defaults solve it? NO

Have you tried this on other devices? YES

:smileyfrustrated:

UPDATE: 

Problem seems to have been caused by a Wndows 7 system in 'HOMEGROUP' mode which became the

Netbios 'Master Browser'  but which refused  to process any Netbios _MSBROWSE_ broadcasts.

Turning off  Windows homegroup mode on that system fixed the connection to Windows shares issue.

Comments
by Moderator on ‎03-01-2012 09:11 AM
Status changed to: In Review

by ‎03-01-2012 12:02 PM - edited ‎03-01-2012 12:03 PM

OOPs,

I found the offending Windows system that became the Master Browser but wasn't handling or receiving the Netbios MSBROWSE broadcasts correctly. Once I disconnected it, the WDLIVE found all the other Windows computer  shares.  I discovered that the offending system had been setup as a HOMEGROUP system, so it wasn't  processing MSBROWSE requests even though it was currently the master browser..

I sure wish that the WDLIVE didn't only depend on a somewhat obsolete Netbios MSBROWSE handshake to find the Windows computers and their shares.

by on ‎03-01-2012 07:51 PM

I'm having this issue also but turning off Homegroup in my Windows 7 didn't seem to make a difference.  The SMP still hangs at trying to find network shares.  Just like you, this only happened when I updated to firmware 1.07.15.  Very dissapointing to say the least and now I'm stuck with no access to my media

Which firmware were you using? 1.07.15

What exactly happened? Windows file sharing stopped working

What you were doing? Attempting to connect to any Windows Network Share

What hardware and media were you using? Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit PC

Does it happen every time? YES

Does it happen with previous firmware? NO

Does power cycling the unit solve it? NO

Does resetting to factory defaults solve it? NO

Have you tried this on other devices? YES

:smileysad:

by on ‎03-02-2012 09:21 PM
I've rolled back the firmware to 1.06.04 and this still isn't resolved. The workgroup is both "WORKGROUP" on both the WDTV SMP and the Windows PC (nothing has changed) and yet I STILL can't connect to Windows shares - the amber arrow on the SMP just keep spinning and spinning for forever trying to find the Windows shares but never does. Please help WD people.
by ‎03-03-2012 12:24 AM - edited ‎03-03-2012 12:44 AM

If the WD connection to Windows Network Shares was working then stopped, then it is highly likely that  the "Master Browser" role switched to a system that is not handling  _MSBROWSE_ broadcasts properly. It could be any Windows system, PC or laptop, or equivalent,  actively connected to your local network.

When the WD network share connect process gets stuck in the spinning arrow mode, it is broadcasting _MSBROWSE_ packets but not receiving any response from the Windows "Master Browser" system currently keeping track of  computers in your network . You can use the Windows "nbtstat -n" command to determine which Windows machine currently thinks it is the  "Master Browser" .  If the "nbtstat -n" output  shows "..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP Registered", then that system must be listening  for and  must respond to the broadcasts from the WD box in order to find the Windows systems and network shares.  If you are technically inclined, then you can use Wireshark, or other network trace software, to see the _MSBROWSE_ broadcasts and determine if the "Master Browser" system is responding to the WD box.  Also, confirm that other windows systems in your local network can see each other via  the Windows Explorer Network folder tree or NET VIEW command.

But as other posts describe, several things can break this  process,. 

Here are just a few:

Windows File Sharing must be active, and sharing security permissions must allow the desired folders to be shared.

Activating File Sharing should also open the necessary ports through the Windows Firewall.

One, and only one, system must  take on the Windows  network role of  "Master Browser" .

The LAN adapter TCP/IP settings must allow NetBIOS traffic (NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled or default).

The "Computer Browser" service must be actively running  (autostart) and listening on UDP port 137.

Windows Homegroup process must not interfere with legacy Windows file sharing.

All systems should default to the WORKGROUP domain to avoid configuration conflicts and issues.

by ‎03-03-2012 04:15 PM - edited ‎03-03-2012 04:16 PM

AbsoluteJoe, you sir are a scholar! THANK YOU!!!!!

Just as you suggested, my roommate’s Win7 laptop was set on Homegroup mode and ended up taking over as master browser. Went and set my NAS PC as the master browser and the WD TV Live SMP lit up the shares like a Christmas tree! Re-updated the firmware to 1.07.15 and the shares and everything else held together just fine.

Thanks again AJ! You saved me a LOT of grief and aggravation! :smileyhappy:

by on ‎05-13-2012 10:30 AM

Had the same problem.

Seems as though I had both an Ethernet wireless simultaneous connection to my network which caused a conflict withWD Live.  I disabled my wireless connection, leaving only my Ethernet connection.

Network Shares now works like a charm!

by Moderator on ‎07-20-2012 10:21 AM
Unless this has not been fixed with the current firmware, we will close this issue out due to its age.
Announcements
The Live Streaming Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD