Auto-scraped TV show TITLES lead to bad SORTING.

by ‎12-02-2011 05:36 AM - edited ‎12-15-2011 05:49 AM

Which Firmware:   All SMP firmwares, and HUB firmware 3.00.28

What exactly happens:   

The naming format the HUB and SMP use to TITLE TV shows is:

SeriesName Season X - Y EpisodeName.

If Y is a SINGLE DIGIT (1-9) then they are sorted wrong.  Like this:

Episode 1

Episode 10

Episode 11

Episode 19

Episode 2

Episode 20

Episode 21

Episode 3

Episode 4....

The EPISODE NUMBER needs to be a TWO-digit number (with a leading zero, if necessary) so that the SMP / HUB sort them properly.

What would be BETTER, though, is if it actually sorted by the EPISODEID in the XML.

For anyone that wants to re-do their existing XML in bulk, read this post for a how-to:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Firmware/How-does-WD-recognize-TV-Show-Firmware-Version-3...

What are you doing:  Letting the Hub or SMP "Scrape" metadata for TV shows.

What hardware:  This affects both the Live-SMP and the Live Hub the same way.

Does it happen every time:  Yes.

Does it happen with previous firmware:  With the Live-S, yes.  With the Live Hub, doesn't apply since the prior version didn't support this feature.

Power Cycling & Factory Restores have no affect.

This fix should be in the next update approximately mid-April.

[edit]

Testing is taking longer, so we're looking at a couple of weeks more. 

[edit]

We're looking at mid-May for the fixes.

Comments
by on ‎12-04-2011 02:09 AM

same problem with musics files list

by on ‎12-14-2011 07:24 PM

Hi TonyPh12345

I'm interested in how to bulk update the XML to work around this problem. Could you please repost your link - it's broken for me - it seems to be linking to the edit page for your post which gives me a permission denied error.

Thanks in advance.

Fuzz

by on ‎12-15-2011 05:50 AM

Ooops!  Sorry, ya'll...  I've updated my original link, too...

by on ‎12-15-2011 01:17 PM

No problem. Thanks to both of you. I tried it last night on 2TB of TV shows. It worked perfectly :smileyhappy:

by on ‎01-20-2012 10:03 AM

still not working for me :smileymad:

by on ‎01-23-2012 05:15 AM

any updates on when this issue will be resolved by the firmware rather than using the above solution supplied by Tony?

by on ‎02-14-2012 04:43 PM

I would expect WD to fix this issue, since the cause is built into the very system they sold.  Using the default media information provider and the default settings shows an incorrect sort order.  I believe WD has the responsibility to fix this issue.  

by on ‎02-15-2012 01:09 AM
by RobSpook yesterday

I would expect WD to fix this issue, since the cause is built into the very system they sold.  Using the default media information provider and the default settings shows an incorrect sort order.  I believe WD has the responsibility to fix this issue.  

Rob

I 100% agree that they need to fix this issue but as of yet it is still in "New" status and no comments have been added by WD to confirm if they are looking at this or not. I guess that they are more involved in trying to resolve the USB3 dropping and playback stutter issues before resolving something like this.

Regards

Tommy

by Staff on ‎02-15-2012 10:32 AM
Status changed to: Investigating

Announcements
The Live Streaming Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD