AVI files shutter and lose sound when played over network share

by ‎12-28-2011 12:01 PM - edited ‎05-11-2012 05:44 AM

If you try and play an avi file wireless or wired via a windows network share, the video will get shuttery and you will lose sound.  Seems to only happen with network shares.  Happens almost immediatly after starting the video.  Other higher quality formats such as MKV, MP4, etc work just fine via network share. 

Does this on all older firmwares including newest currently available 1.08.17.  Factory reset dosent help.  They play just fine if you use a local attached drive.    Happends everytime on both of my wd tv live smp.  Ive tried about 50 different avi/xvid files now from different sources now hoping one of them may work but none ever have.  Bug that needs to be fixed.  Thanks

-Which firmware?  all including current newest currently available 1.08.17
-What happened? see above
-What were you doing? trying to play avi\xvid files via windows share
-Does this happen every time? yes with every avi/xvid i have ever tried
-What hardware and media were you using? wdtvlive to a linksys e2000 to a windows 7 pc all hard wired
-Did this happen with previous firmware? yes
-Does power cycling the unit solve this? no
-Does resetting to factory defaults solve this? no
-Have you tried this on other devices? just another wdtv live same model same issue
Comments
by on ‎12-28-2011 03:23 PM

I have the same issue on the newest SMP firmware. No avi audio over network shares.

by on ‎12-28-2011 03:29 PM

I have the *exact* same issue. When I play AVI files over the network, the video shudders and the audio drops out straight away. When I play the same file on a USB stick, it works fine...but it's not a bandwidth issue because 2tb MKV files work without a problem.

The only 'solution' I've come across is to the run the AVI files through Handbrake and convert them to MKV, but this isn't realy feasible or desirable since movie collections can tend to be quite large...

by on ‎12-28-2011 10:47 PM

Retrobot, you did experience this already with 1.03.10, 1.04.12?

by on ‎12-29-2011 05:06 AM

Yes I did.  Ive tested all firmwares so far and have had the same problem with all of them.

by on ‎12-29-2011 10:52 AM

I just purchased a WDTV Live and am having this problem.  The same .avi files played via network share that lose audio in a few seconds and stay mute, will play fine off of the same NAS, but through a Media Server.

by on ‎12-29-2011 10:27 PM

And that's what's weirding me out. Media Server does not work for me at all (no file type), but AVI over SMB does.

by on ‎12-30-2011 05:37 AM

Exactly the same issue here: plays fine locally, audio quits, and video slows down in samba share over wifi.

by on ‎12-31-2011 10:56 PM

Exactly exactly the same problem here.  Wife was excited to try out new player on new TV.  AVI files worked last night tonight they stopped playing sound.  Stutters and no sound is a bad thing.  +1 for a speedy fix.

by on ‎01-01-2012 07:47 AM

It MIGHT be this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/No-audio-when-playing-avi-files-over-Wi...

But folks in that thread say ONLY this version exhibits this issue.

by on ‎01-01-2012 01:44 PM

Same problem with audio and video here. How long does it generally take for WD to respond to these issues?

Announcements
The Live Streaming Issue Reporting is a variation of our idea exchange being used for the purpose of reporting issues with your WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

In order to effectively report an issue you are experiencing with your WD TV, please make sure you include:

- Which firmware?
- What happened?
- What were you doing?
- Does this happen every time?
- What hardware and media were you using?
- Did this happen with previous firmware?
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?
- Have you tried this on other devices?

Our goal is to try to address the issues that are the most important to you. Use the kudos arrow to say "Me too!" if you see an issue that affects you.

Issue Statuses explained here.
Issue Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD