This is sharing content from windows

Check if you have the latest firmware version installed. You can also try using another media server to see if it works better. 

hi, yep on latest firmware.  as for using another media server well no.  its a hardware thing not software running on a comp so im not going to buy something else in case it might work with the wdtv.

sorry if that sounded snippy its just im really frustrated with right now

Which media server software are you using, and which types of files is it not working with?

its the netgear built in media server stuff and its .mkv files that are the problem

Not sure i understand. You have netgear streaming server built into your PC?

no

im streaming from the netgear nas, it is accesable as either a file server which works or as a media server which mostly doesnt.  so sending content pushed from the nas if its an mkv fails.  thats when instead of dispalying the content the wdtv flashes up on the screen that “this is sharing content from windows” there is actually no windows machine involded in the process.  sorry if that was not clear.

I am having the same problem only it does not work for hours.  Each time I select to play something, it plats only for maybe 15 seconds and then the screen goes blue with the words “this is sharing content from windows” displayed

I am using a Sony tablet with the TWONKY BEAM app.  I go through the BEAM APP browser and select netflix for example.  I hit the BEAM button, which sends the play to the TV through the WD LIVE MEDIA HUB.  It plays for 15 seconds and then as I stated above.

Any ideas?

Well so far my solution is to just not use the WDTV.  ive gone back to just using a computer directly connected to the tv.

for me the WDTV has become a largely usless little brick

Why do you need to use your NAS as a streaming device?

Why not just add the folder from your NAS to your Media files from within the WD Live?

Sorry if I’m missing something.

because if its push, as in treating the device as a media device then i cant scroll through the files on my phone, which is both visually pleasing and so very quick and easy. 

going through the wdtv and pulling the files from it as just a file storage device is akward, clunky and just slow as **bleep**.  there are hundreds of files and pushing next over and over and over and over gets old, fast.

I’m having a problem with this message too.

I just traded my iPhone S4 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

On my iPhone I used the app ‘iMediaShare’ to stream content to the WD Live Media Player and had no problems at all, now that I’ve switched to the my Note 2 and installed it there, I always get this message !

I’ve just tested it on my PS3 and the app works fine there, so it’s a WD software problem.

Please get this fixed WD !

Hi

Has anyone found a solution to this issue. Its driving me nuts. I had the old wd tv live and pushing media from my samsung galaxy s3 using bubbleupnp used to work fine. I used it mostly to push Youtube videos. Then i got the new wd tv live streaming thinking it will be better but since day one i am getting this " this is sharing content from windows" error and cant play videos from my media server as well ( Dlink DNS323) which used to work fine with the old wd tv live. I am on the latest firmware.

frankslat4 wrote:

I am using a Sony tablet with the TWONKY BEAM app.  I go through the BEAM APP browser and select netflix for example.  I hit the BEAM button, which sends the play to the TV through the WD LIVE MEDIA HUB.  It plays for 15 seconds and then as I stated above.

Any ideas?

I use Twonky Beam app on an iPad.  Where in the world are you finding Netflix in Twonky Beam, and if not in Twonky Beam, then where/how are you tapping into Netflix with Twonky Beam?  Twonky Beam basically streams media from YouTube and other similar “free” internet sites, and “premium” sites such as Netflix are not there as far as I know.

By the way, sometimes I will click on a YouTube video within Twonky Beam; it might begin to start, but stops right away.  I do not consider this an issue with either my WDTV or Roku, but all about the Twonky Beam app.  It’s new, and has glitches.  Shutting down Twonky Beam and restarting it usually solves the problem.  I find I need to shut down and restart Twonky Beam often; especially if it has been dormant for a while on my tablet.  Such is life with free and new apps, I just figure.  All said, I find Twonky Beam a cool and useful app.

Mark,

Have you tried the Twonky Beam app?  I stream music from it all the time; even stream from playlists.  I wrote a mini review of it here:    Twonky Beam app is awesome for WDTV, Roku, etc. - Western  

mike27oct - with regards to twonky beam and Netflix. I think you search for Netflix or other media sites in the top browser box. The inbuilt services are simply a short cut to the media site. The browser allows you to go other media sites not listed.

RichUK,

Hey thanks for the tip.  I tried it on the iPad; got into our Netflix account and started playing a video in our Queue.  Fine, but as far as Twonky beaming it to the WDTV, it doesn’t appear possible.  So, since I have the Netflix app on the iPad, this just appears to be another way to play Netflix on the iPad.  Netflix also plays via the Safari browser, but again, what’s the advantage?

It does appear that using the Twonky browser feature gives one another browser for the iPad other than Safari, so maybe that could be an advantage.

So, can you suggest some websites that are not in the Twonky shortcut list, but are accessable via Twonky browser, AND have beamable content?  Now, that would be a useful feature.

I too have this problem.  i also have two WDTV’s.  A Live and a Media Hub.  Both are running the latest firmware.  I have used multiple media servers on my phone and am unable to “push” any videos from my phone to either of my WDTV’s.  

I have tried iMediaServer, Twonky Beam, ArkMC, Zappo, and MediaHouse.  All of them push fine to other DLNA devices on my network (Google TV’s) but not to the WDTV.  We should be able to push files from our phones, youtube, etc, to the WDTV using our phones/iPad’s as a DLNA server.  

WESTERN DIGITAL SUPPORT - PLEASE ADDRESS THIS FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE ISSUE in you otherwise, wonderful device!

tstretch wrote:

I too have this problem.  i also have two WDTV’s.  A Live and a Media Hub.  Both are running the latest firmware.  I have used multiple media servers on my phone and am unable to “push” any videos from my phone to either of my WDTV’s.  

I have tried iMediaServer, Twonky Beam, ArkMC, Zappo, and MediaHouse.  All of them push fine to other DLNA devices on my network (Google TV’s) but not to the WDTV.  We should be able to push files from our phones, youtube, etc, to the WDTV using our phones/iPad’s as a DLNA server.  

WESTERN DIGITAL SUPPORT - PLEASE ADDRESS THIS FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE ISSUE in you otherwise, wonderful device!

Well I am pushing videos to the WD player using twonky beam and zappo without any problem.

Do you receive the error: “this is sharing content from windows” ever when you push videos?