New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

WD is changing this beta into our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

For sharing your experience, you can continue to post in this thread.

2 Likes

Bill -

Does this release address the bug that damaged the drive-eject functionality?

To me that was a HUGE black eye in 1.11.x, other stuff I can live with or work around.

Sorry to “thread **bleep**”, but in the mean time, Bill can you please tell me where I can find older versions of the WD firmware?  (Specifically, 1.10.13, the version before 1.11.4 with the drive-eject bug).

Thanks much!!

OK, I found the answer here.  In case it helps anyone else roll back…

First I’m going to try the beta, trying to do my part…

So far no issues to report seems smooth and steady.

Well report back after futher testing.

Does seem smoother with little lag in artwork now.

Only relevant error for me (Skip to time) is fixed, other than that DLNA is still semi-broken.

Thanks for this Bill, just downloading will get back to you later.

Just tried a NOVA-T USB stick (model 70009/C1B5 #3107). The channel scan was finished quite fast, but it didn’t find any channels.

I’m in Austria, tried setting the region to Europe (and also France, UK and Newzealand) and language to English or German (not sure if this matters).

The DVB-T stick works fine on my Linux box. The 2 DVB-T muxes here use the following parameters:

538 MHz (channel 29), FEC 3/4, QAM16 8k

562 MHz (channel 32), FEC 3/4, QAM16 8k

Tried it and still 2 issues not fixed.

1. Im from Germany. If i fetch Metadata i get only english results from tmdb. On 01.09.10 everything was fine.

Already reported on 24th of August http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/meta-source-scraper-results-only-in-english-since-update-to-1-10/idc-p/496196#M4261

1. RSS Feeds still dont update. I always have to restart to update the feeds. Before 01.09.10 everything was fine.

Reported in June !!! http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/RSS-Feed-wont-update-after-Firmware-update/idc-p/496192#M4260

I already posted those bugs in the reporting area but still no update.

Its unbelieveable how long it takes to fix 2 small issues.

Im a pretty disappointed customer.

LycanNaryko wrote:
Its unbelieveable how long it takes to fix 2 small issues.

Im a pretty disappointed customer.

Please remember, that the developers have to put their focus on more important issues first. As no serious person will ever use a WD Media Player to watch movies (who wants to look at juddering VC-1 streams in MKV containers?), they certainly had to fix the Accuweather and Bild.de bugs before fixing anything else. Isn’t weather forecast and reading news the one and only reason, why we all bought the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player?

2 Likes

Please remember, that the developers have to put their focus on more important issues first. As no serious person will ever use a WD Media Player to watch movies (who wants to look at juddering VC-1 streams in MKV containers?), they certainly had to fix the Accuweather and Bild.de bugs before fixing anything else. Isn’t weather forecast and reading news the one and only reason, why we all bought the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player?

Hi Sotje,

personally I use WD TV to watch MKVs and AVIs, since my TV set playback is not as good as I want, plus consider that in some countries there aren’t all the live service WD TV is able to manage.

I purchased WD TV SMP because it has built-in wi-fi and a better CPU than its predecessor, also frankly speaking I don’t think that Accuweather is one of the most important features, since there are a lot of apps for smartphone working well with it and if I’m at home I don’t really care if outside is raining. :smiley:

P.S. Think the same is for DVB-T sticks support: not useful at all, except if it’s a test for new DVB-T2 standard.

1 Like

Great work WD all working good :slight_smile: (touches wood)

1 Like

Think you need to turn on your sarcasm detector, rddrgn. :wink:

I’ve only just got my WDTV Live, and it’s nice to see updates being rolled out, so thanks for that :slight_smile:

Is there a road map for future updates that I could view, or is that stuff top secret? lol

1 Like

I found a change  in subtitle behavior that’s probably not intended.

Most of my movie / tv show collection is formated like this (I use an example):

The main movie file and for every movie file 2 subtitles (a dutch one called NL and an english one called USA). With all previous firmwares the mediaplayer would use an alphabetical sorting. So your WD mediaplayer would first use the nl sub in this example and if you pushed the subtitle button it would switch to the usa version.

With this beta firmware the WD is not using an alphabetical sorting anymore. I did some testing if the srt files are now selected on date / time of creation, but that seems not to be the case. Choosing EN instead of USA for English subs also gave no solution (it will still play the English subtitle first).

At the moment I am not able to get my WD mediaplayers to select the Dutch subtitle first. It would be great if you could report this behavior change.

DARKFiB3R wrote:

Think you need to turn on your sarcasm detector, rddrgn. :wink:

I’ve only just got my WDTV Live, and it’s nice to see updates being rolled out, so thanks for that :slight_smile:

Is there a road map for future updates that I could view, or is that stuff top secret? lol

Hi DARKFIB3R maybe you’re right, but since I’m always reading people complaining for silly minor bugs maybe I’m losing it… Sorry! :flushed:

By now I saw it’s impossible to see photos in Facebook app, but since it’s only the second time I use it perhaps it’s normal. Plus Accuweather app (thanks to  Sotje who made me discover it) quitted abnormally trying to add another favorite location.

AVIs and MKVs seems to be played flawlessly, except the ones I’ve signaled here, “stay off” function it’s still unfortunately lacking, so everything is roughly OK! :laughing:

Sotje wrote:

(who wants to look at juddering VC-1 streams in MKV containers?)

Noone, which is why I ripped mine properly and I can watch VC-1 in MKV without any judder.

dutchuser wrote:
With this beta firmware the WD is not using an alphabetical sorting anymore.

Do you play back from a FAT32 formatted drive or via a media server? I renamed my files to your example and as expected they were shown alphabetically when played back from my NTFS formatted HDD:

.mkv

nl.srt   ← first

usa.srt

.mkv

en.srt ← first

nl.srt

[deleted - ELA violation]

Some rough edges on the firmware.

The media library has  a habit of not finding folders and rescaning the folders wont get them to shwoup.

This seems to be confined to nas devices this time rather then smp.

Restarting the device a couple of times does restore folders to media libray unlike before where a hard reboot was required.

Seems to be due to the nas being asleep and the wd not  clueing into this correctly.

Your Facebook photo’s are not displaying because you have https connections enabled in Facebook. Go into your Facebook settings and disable secure http connections.

Is the extremely slow response of Netflix and other services fixed in this release? I went back to 1.10.13 because Netflix works fine on that release and I can’t get it to work at all on 1.11.14. Trying to figure out whether to try this new Beta.