Occasional Advisor
pulsorock

Re: New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

I lost access to both Netflix and Hulu since I updated to 1.07.15.

I live in PR (USA) and have active accounts on both services for over a year, but since the update last night I can't see neither of them.

Here is what I see: http://pic.twitter.com/C5dmfRy0

What can I do to restore them? Downgrade to an older firmware? Any other options?

I won't allow the services that I pay for to be removed, bust because the device's firmware thinks I shouldn't have access to them. I think is pretty bad that the device does the geolocation check, instead of the service, because of these kind of issues. 

Occasional Advisor
pulsorock

Re: New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

Totally agree... this must be the worst desition ever I've seen for the WDTV devices (and I've had them since the 1st gen that only played local media). Let the geolocation to the apps themselves, not the device. And please, If I'm paying for a service, WD has no right to deny my access to it, because of some geolocation miscalculation on their side... I should have access to these services as I do with any other device (like the Roku and PS3).

Occasional Advisor
juangra

the issue is very simple never buy something from WD,I use wii and my android to access the netflix service for which I payment legally, Nintendo and Sony for example is not as ridiculous,does someone suggests another device? Well for now I must make those bad reviews on amazon
Frequent Advisor
Toddler

[ Edited ]

**bleep** it.  I've been through five firmware versions now, and this device continues to disappoint.  It forgets my network credentials, deauthorizes my Netflix, hangs selecting movies, loses its mind completely at times, it has to write files all over my network shares and has even corrupted a folder on my shares, which wouldn't be possible except for the fact that it requires read/write access to my files.  This was my first WD TV product, and it is definitely my last.  Hopefully I can eBay this thing to someone who doesn't know any better.  Apple TV & XBMC, here I come.

Occasional Advisor
pulsorock

juangra, the Roku also lets you use Netflix and Hulu. The PS3 too does allow to access without any issue.

Advisor
Benedetti

Is there any problem TonyPh12345? It is Working rigth now, of course I blame WD for this, as a customer i have the right to do so. I read the documentation about it and there's nothing there there taht says that the device will not work in my country. Can YOU show me where it is written?

I'm an old WD custumer, and I don't want to stop been one. Do you work for WD? If so, you should really think about the you write things. You are not polite at all.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

[ Edited ]

Benedetti wrote:

Can YOU show me where it is written?

Sure.  It's all over the WD website; and the last I looked, it's also all on the box.  Next to the NetFlix and BlockBuster logos it says "US ONLY."

It also says it in the User Manual....in no fewer than THREE PLACES.

For example, go here:  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Click "Online Services"

Select your country. 

Oh, wait.  Your country isn't listed.   Hmmm.

Ok, so click "All Services."

Select NetFlix.

It says "US, Canada, and Brazil Only."

Your country isn't listed.  NetFlix doesn't work in your country with the SMP.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Frequent Advisor
Steggl

Muhahaha! When I first bought the EMEA version the website did not specifically list separate regions and there was no way to tell that Netflix would not work abroad. The information hasn't been there for too long.
Advisor
Benedetti

My dear TonyPh12345....

Netflix is working right now... country listed or not, it is woking... as you said in some other post:  "WD doesn't write the NetFlix app; it loads the app from the NetFlix servers". So Netflix works for Latin America. Anyway, it is woking now.

Occasional Contributor
ElGaucho

Thanks for the update! I can understand why some people are upset by the changes, particularly the loss of apps in areas that are supported locally but not within scope of WD's support.

Personally, I'm quite a fan of the WDTV even recognising its limitations - I have a few friends who are also interested in getting one here in the UK.

There are still issues, but at least updates are happening and the device is being supported - this would be the second update since I bought the device this year!

I do have a question though - does this update resolve the issue of the WDTV deleting random folders on NAS boxes if you give it read/write access? There is reference in the release notes to a getinfo change relating to folders, but it doesn't really clarify the issue in any detail. My understanding is that the getinfo function was related to why media was being randomly deleted.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD