New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sorry for sounding dense, but I’m trying to figure out which issue you have.

On my system, it will bring up my queue, let me browse around for a while, and then hang when starting a movie.  If I then hit BACK, it will tell me I am de-authorized and make me sign in again.

Is that the same for you?  Or does it go to the “Are you a subscriber?” page as soon as you start the app?

Either Way, these are both “known” issues that are in the “Issues Reporting” section.  So, depending on which issue you have, you might want to go find the correct one and “vote” for it.

> * * *

It’s done both for me.  I’ve got 2 WD boxes.  I updated one, and it forgot my Wifi network (again…always seems to happen after firmware updates…), and forgot my Netflix credentials so that I had to sign in again when I launched it.  That box has also randomly forgotten my credentials at startup, and sometimes, as you describe, once I actually try to play a movie and it hangs, it then signs me out.  

The other box hasn’t received the firmware update yet, and when I launched Netflix on it, it just took me right to the “Are you a subscriber?” dialog box, just like the first box.  That one has also sometimes hung while trying to view a movie only to kick me back out to the sign-in page.

With all the rumors about the next AppleTV due out any day now (and its supposed 1080p capability), the advantages of this buggy piece of sh!t are waning pretty darn fast.  I can’t recall a purchase that I’ve been more disappointed in than these WDTV boxes.  I wanted to like them, but the UI is just so inconsistent and poorly implemented, and it has SO. MANY. BUGS.

Say what you want about being locked into the Apple ecosystem, at least their engineers know how to design consistent, well-thought-out UIs and debug software before releasing it.

Is should be Netflix and BBC with iPlayer, that should stop the service at the countrys they don’t want.

Not WD!!

I see the dolby digital issue has still not been resolved in this firmware!!!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/No-Dolby-Digital-audio-after-1-05-18/td-p/315241/page/2

Quick fix… I had Netflix in favorites in 1.06.4… I upgraded to 1.07.15… It’s not in Services put it is Favorites when i press down on remote… and it works with DNS work-around… it loads up in about 45 seconds

I lost access to both Netflix and Hulu since I updated to 1.07.15.

I live in PR (USA) and have active accounts on both services for over a year, but since the update last night I can’t see neither of them.

Here is what I see:  http://pic.twitter.com/C5dmfRy0

What can I do to restore them? Downgrade to an older firmware? Any other options?

I won’t allow the services that I pay for to be removed, bust because the device’s firmware thinks I shouldn’t have access to them. I think is pretty bad that the device does the geolocation check, instead of the service, because of these kind of issues. 

Totally agree… this must be the worst desition ever I’ve seen for the WDTV devices (and I’ve had them since the 1st gen that only played local media). Let the geolocation to the apps themselves, not the device. And please, If I’m paying for a service, WD has no right to deny my access to it, because of some geolocation miscalculation on their side… I should have access to these services as I do with any other device (like the Roku and PS3).

the issue is very simple never buy something from WD,I use wii and my android to access the netflix service for which I payment legally, Nintendo and Sony for example is not as ridiculous,does someone suggests another device? Well for now I must make those bad reviews on amazon

**bleep** it.  I’ve been through five firmware versions now, and this device continues to disappoint.  It forgets my network credentials, deauthorizes my Netflix, hangs selecting movies, loses its mind completely at times, it has to write files all over my network shares and has even corrupted a folder on my shares, which wouldn’t be possible except for the fact that it requires read/write access to my files.  This was my first WD TV product, and it is definitely my last.  Hopefully I can eBay this thing to someone who doesn’t know any better.  Apple TV & XBMC, here I come.

juangra, the Roku also lets you use Netflix and Hulu. The PS3 too does allow to access without any issue.

Is there any problem TonyPh12345? It is Working rigth now, of course I blame WD for this, as a customer i have the right to do so. I read the documentation about it and there’s nothing there there taht says that the device will not work in my country. Can YOU show me where it is written?

I’m an old WD custumer, and I don’t want to stop been one. Do you work for WD? If so, you should really think about the you write things. You are not polite at all.

Benedetti wrote:

Can YOU show me where it is written?

Sure.  It’s all over the WD website; and the last I looked, it’s also all on the box.  Next to the NetFlix and BlockBuster logos it says “US ONLY.”

It also says it in the User Manual…in no fewer than THREE PLACES.

For example, go here:   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Click “Online Services”

Select your country. 

Oh, wait.  Your country isn’t listed.   Hmmm.

Ok, so click “All Services.”

Select NetFlix.

It says “US, Canada, and Brazil Only.”

Your country isn’t listed.  NetFlix doesn’t work in your country with the SMP.

Muhahaha! When I first bought the EMEA version the website did not specifically list separate regions and there was no way to tell that Netflix would not work abroad. The information hasn’t been there for too long.

1 Like

My dear TonyPh12345…

Netflix is working right now… country listed or not, it is woking… as you said in some other post:  “WD doesn’t write the NetFlix app; it loads the app from the NetFlix servers”. So Netflix works for Latin America. Anyway, it is woking now.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I can understand why some people are upset by the changes, particularly the loss of apps in areas that are supported locally but not within scope of WD’s support.

Personally, I’m quite a fan of the WDTV even recognising its limitations - I have a few friends who are also interested in getting one here in the UK.

There are still issues, but at least updates are happening and the device is being supported - this would be the second update since I bought the device this year!

I do have a question though - does this update resolve the issue of the WDTV deleting random folders on NAS boxes if you give it read/write access? There is reference in the release notes to a getinfo change relating to folders, but it doesn’t really clarify the issue in any detail. My understanding is that the getinfo function was related to why media was being randomly deleted.

1 Like

TonyPh12345, the fact is that Netflix DOES work on other places (including Latin America) where I believe that other user is from.

And that’s the problem, just because WD thinks your’re not elegible to access the service is just not fair to their customers. They should leave the geolocation to the services apps, noty the device. This is how is done with every other similar devices, we have no idea why WD has to change that.

By the way TonyPh12345, you can check on the Netflix website…

“Quick fix… I had Netflix in favorites in 1.06.4… I upgraded to 1.07.15… It’s not in Services put it is Favorites when i press down on remote… and it works with DNS work-around… it loads up in about 45 seconds”

Well, guess what will happen with the next fw update?

The currently unresolved big bugs will still be there, we will get two more completely unintersting services of the likes of the MLB, the users who need 6TB of NAS storage space for their “family videos” and “safety copies” of their 2300+ BR discs will get a few extras and your favorite will be gone :dizzy_face: Souds like an idea to me to promote their hdd products by encouraging people to dl "safety copies’…

@WD: Whoever came up with that idea at your company should seriously consider changing careers.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Benedetti wrote:

Can YOU show me where it is written?

Sure.  It’s all over the WD website; and the last I looked, it’s also all on the box.  Next to the NetFlix and BlockBuster logos it says “US ONLY.”

But NetFlix is NOT “US ONLY.”  Oops!  Maybe the box isn’t accurate after all.  And I would argue that since NetFlix is offered outside of the US, and WD ships different hardware revisions to different markets, then it’s a bit dishonest for WD to even promote NetFlix on the retail box in markets where they are disabling NetFlix.

TonyPh12345 wrote:  

It also says it in the User Manual…in no fewer than THREE PLACES.

For example, go here:   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Click “Online Services”

Select your country. 

Oh, wait.  Your country isn’t listed.   Hmmm.

Yep, so now the user manual isn’t necessarily an accurate guide, either.  But does WD expect consumers to look up the user manual on their mobile device in the middle of a retail outlet to figure out which services pictured on the retail packaging actually work in their market?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, so click “All Services.”

Select NetFlix.

It says “US, Canada, and Brazil Only.”

Your country isn’t listed.  NetFlix doesn’t work in your country with the SMP.

Again, that is asking quite a lot from retail shoppers to do that kind of digging.  And who knows if that can even be relied upon as accurate, or how long it might remain so, since WD keeps shuffling things without warning.

It’s no wonder why so many people are confused.  Do we really have to act as WD apologists and constantly blame the customer?  Why not exect more from WD?  Perhaps they should be more honest and make it simple and list only those services which are intended to work in that market for the hardware revision inside the box.

Just adding my voice to the folks who are less than impressed with this update and geographical location function. I have been recommending the WD live streaming box to folks looking to access Netflix and iPlayer but will no longer do this now.

I have rolled back to the previous firmware and all is good again, but I don’t think WD are doing themselves any favors by stopping folks watching services that they have signed up for and have been watching previously.

Agreed. I eagerly await the new Apple TV despite only buying this recently. For now the favourites workaround allows me to etch Netflix and iplayer. Have to say though, the WDTV does work well for me aside from this latest issue.