New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.04 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/10/12)

Yeap: sure 1.01xx, both machines came with that firmware, one bought from Amazon and the other… I dont know where my friend brought from (country). When I saw that at first, I felt I wanted to back-up the firmware as there is no firmware like that on the net, but I did not know how. I will post the entire firmware version name next time I fire up the new one but I AM SURE it is 1.01 as I thought it was the cause of all trouble and started an update frenzy…

Well, I have to say this firmware is awful. So many bugs I can’t believe WD released such a shoddy product, then asks customers to vote on priority of the bug. I just spent 1/2 hour trying to play one movie with no success at all and most of that 1/2 hour waiting for the user-interface to respond, and waiting for reboots to complete.

As a consumer, I do not have hours of my time to devote helping WD to cover their poor product development process.

I’m just shocked at the poor quality of this firmware. I’m gonna get a refund and maybe in a few months the code will be usable.

you people must be doing some weird stuff on your wdtv streaming media player.  I’ve always updated when they’re available and have yet to come across a single issue

I purchased my WDTV Live  (gen 3) a couple of weeks ago. When it started it immediatey suggested i’ d update the FW, which i did.

When i point the FW to my Qnap NAS-shares as a source, its just not working at all. When i use my NAS as a streamer (twonky media) it works a lot better, but still not all the time. 

I have the excact same issues. MKV won’t play at all or choppy for a short while. Even simple jpg-foto’s won’t load.

I have to use a hard reset after every file i played, in order to play another one.

When i open up een stream, say shoutcast-radio, it won’ t stop playing, even when i press the stopbutton. When i use a soft reset (remote) it starts up, en keeps playing the stream which i opened in t he session before… 

It’s a shame, because WHEN it’s working its a wonderfull piece of hardware: great image-quality, relatively intuitive GUI.

I shure hop WD gets this one sorted out, or at least makes it possible to downgrade FW

*UPdate* Found out how to rollback  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860. 1.05.18 resolved almost all issues. Only Video-TS-files have sound-problem. 

Just signed up to basically say I had the WD Live Plus before (and still do) and it worked great. Basically saw the SMP on sale at Best Buy and picked it up for it’s 1Gbps port (yeah, not :() as well as built in WIFI (not that i need it but just in case my setup changes later).

With the earlier and lastest builds (1.5.x and 1.6.x) i notice my server and router getting slammed with tons of network traffic from the WDTV box. First I thought it was just because of the network scan feature (WHS 2011 server) but even after days the light on the server still showing tons of network activity all while the WD LED doesn’t even blink. I checked the router (Linksys e4200 with DD-WRT) and looked at bandwidth charts and both 2.4Ghz and LAN are spiked (2.4Ghz at a constant 25Kbps). My laptop uses 5Ghz so i’m not on that channel.

It works fine on 1.4.12 which i’ve downgraded. Definitely need that option to turn off WIFI because regardless of what’s been said about it auto not used, that’s not true based on what i’ve seen. Checking the TX/RX packet levels on the router shows it jumping by about 150 or so on the 2.4Ghz channel.

If the 2.4Ghz radio is off then it shouldn’t be causing so many TX errors on my router also.

WDTV OFF

WDTV ON

So yeah, just saying that to say something else is just wrong with the last 2 builds. I’ll be going back to 1.4.x build even these are better in some ways. Hopefully the next build will finally fix this issue.

1 Like

I have purchased mine with 1.04 firmware and everything was working fine. The same was the case after 1.05 firmware.

When 1.06 was updated i lost ac3 optical out (stereo stil working through hdmi and optical). I rolled back to 1.05, did factory reset and nothing was improved. I then had to go back to 1.04 and both ac3 and dts through optical out returned to their multi sound place. I tried to go back to 1.05 or 1.06 and the problem returned. So now i am stuck with 1.04 hoping for a proper and testred update with no bugs that ruin the surround experience.

@TonyPh12345

There was indeed a version 1.01.XX

mine is out of the box also and version is 1.01.43

I’m in Australia. Mine plays all media i have thrown at it. I have 2 x 2tb HSS’s connected via USB.

The only real issue i’m having is poor wireless. My other devices pick up signal without a prob from the same room. With the SMP i am lucky to get 1 bar and then it drops out completely.

I’m concerned about updating firmware due to complaints all over forums about problems occuring once done.

Poor form on WD’s behalf ive got to say.

I had no issues with the gen2 player at all.

p.s. when i check for a firmware update it shows version 1.03.07i !!  what is this version and why wouldnt it be showing the 1.06.04 version? 

sorry to say, but my joy over the rollback to 1.05 was shortlived. The good news is that WDTV recognizes my NAS-Shares, and playes every file.

The one bug that remains, drives me crazy

watching a movie (or listening to music or shoutcaststrem, for that matter) is okay, untill i want to quit. Pressing the stopbutton on the remote doesn’t work. Putting the WDTV on standby works but when i switch it back on, the file is still playing. Opening another file isn’t possible.

The only solution is a hard reset. Everything fricking time i want to quit a file i have to make a hard reset/reboot. Trying to rollback to 1.04 tonight

BigRoo - your SMP probably wants you to update all the firmware versions leading up to 1.06. At least that’s what seemed to occur with mine.

@ Fennec

Thats odd.

usually a firmware upgrade would take care of all previous ones too.

Thats what happens with my other devices that require updates.

Hi  sjelly!

The problem you’re having is because of your router, I guess.

Do you have that problem when disconnected from the internet?

If not, you must login to your router and elevate the firewall to the highest protection level. It will do the trick.

By the way, are you from Portugal? The ZON HUB from the ZON had a firmware upgrade that caused this problem you described.

Since downloading this release, connecting to the internet automatically upon turning the device on has become a hit and miss affair. Even upon manual connection it has a 2 out of 3 failure rate. A new bug has emerged with this release that has destabilised wireless access point connectivity.

@BigRoo

Several people (myself included) have experienced that upon turning on the device for the first time, the first update is version 1.03.07i. After that, the device should ask you to jump all the way to the newest version. A total of two firmware updates should be enough.

If you ask me, I’m thinking that the 1.03.07i firmware is an incremental update (thus the “i” at the end). if you download the file manually, you’ll notice that it is much smaller than a normal firmware upgrade. Of course, I’m just speculating.

just bought it and downloaded the new firmware and couldnt find an ip address for my router, had to do a hard reset and it is working but unable to see other compuers on the network

fr27davis wrote:

just bought it and downloaded the new firmware and couldnt find an ip address for my router, had to do a hard reset and it is working but unable to see other compuers on the network

• *Make sure the workgroup names match.

still no luck and support has hung up on my on second phone call now after 5 min hold

Hey WD Staffs,

i think i found a bug and now i report it to you now. So it is in the video/audio-Settings when you use 1080p/60hz than you can’t select 12 bit ? WHY !!! At the  WD TV Live & Live Plus you can this select and the new DSP in the new WD TV Live is the successor of the DSP in the old WD TV Live he must can this too or not ?! I hope i could help to eliminate this bad bad bug, thanks.

And this player is great, keep it up for following proucts :slight_smile: !!!

yours sincerely

A FAN OF WD TV LIVE PLAYERS :wink:

ali-babaz wrote:

Hey WD Staffs,

i think i found a bug and now i report it to you now. So it is in the video/audio-Settings when you use 1080p/60hz than you can’t select 12 bit ? WHY !!! At the  WD TV Live & Live Plus you can this select and the new DSP in the new WD TV Live is the successor of the DSP in the old WD TV Live he must can this too or not ?! I hope i could help to eliminate this bad bad bug, thanks.

And this player is great, keep it up for following proucts :slight_smile: !!!

yours sincerely

A FAN OF WD TV LIVE PLAYERS :wink:

Its not a bug. If you use auto it will show up, anyway why do you want 12 bit.

Bought this player yesterday and one of the main features I like is the TuneIn app. But since it upgraded to the latest firmware version, my favourite radio station Trance FM won’t play…

I guess I have to go back to a previous firmware… Too bad…

Just rolled back version 1.4.12 and it works again.

But a fix in the next firmware update would be nice!

ok so support was no help, not really happy right now about this product or company.  still not working right and firmware update makes it worse!