Netflix USA not working

Hi I live in the UK and just updated the firmware on WD Live and Netflix USA would not load so I rolled back firmware to 1.06.04 All now works well. So I upgraded to the new firmware again and you’ve got it Netflix USA did not work again.

Can this problem be rectified as soon as possible please,there is obviously a bug in the firmware.

No, it’s not a bug.  If you’re in the UK, you should have NetFlix UK.

In the old firmware I could get Netflix USA and UK to work changing the DNS settings . You can’t in the new firmware only the UK will work. So how can that not be a bug if both worked in the previous version.

Answer that…???

It’s actually a loop hole you were exploiting before,  the new firmware simply closes it.  

think of it this way, it was a bug before because you shouldn’t have gotten both.  With the new firmware, they “fixed” the bug.   

i am sure it’s not what you want to hear, but it’s unfortunately the truth with Netflix.  

sorry.

d

I have the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 can get USA and UK on those units so your saying all these other companies have Bugs and WD Live not. … MMmmmm 

Wont do much for sales of the WD live,as a lot of people use Netflix in the  UK and USA. 

Yes,  based on what Netflix says they should see per their licensing agreements in those countries,  Xbox and PS3 are buggy. 

And if netflix is pushing this “fix” out to all the platforms, as they did with WD,  they will have outraged customers on those platforms as well. 

Again, I don’t like it anymore than you, but it’s true. 

I  am in a worse position.  with the upgrade, now my netflix doesn’t work at all.  It locks up my WDTV Live to the point that I need a power reset to get it back up and running. 

As I said, I don’t like it. 

d

Fair enough. But I rang up Netflix customer services and they said you should not do it and that they are aware of people doing this. But they also stated they will not block any users who do this.

I have have just put my daughters Xbox on to get Netflix USA. The problem I have with WD is why are they doing it and from what I have read the Roku and Phillips boxes don’t  block Netflix USA either.WD seem to people the only company doing this whether it is right or wrong it will badly hit sales. I encouraged  5 friends to buy the WD unit. I have had to ring them tonight to tell them not to bother,as they wanted to use Netflix USA. I have advised them to now buy the Phillips unit.

that is probably good advice it netflix usa is a requirement.   

if the “outrage” against WD is large enough they may push back on Netflix.  

I have the feeling however that Netflix is using WD as a starting point to test this out.  

As TonyPh mentioned, it’s Netflix supplying the access.  

I am not sure why Netflix is pushing this after their whole Quickster and price hike fiasco.   it’s like they are trying to drive people away from their service. 

d

To be honest the only reason I use the US site is because Netflix UK content is so poor. Netflix told me it will take 2 years before the content here is on par with the USA. The only downside to the Xbox is the quality is not as good as the WD Live as WD uses 1080 and xbox 720,which makes a big difference. Just a shame that WD is the odd one out. If Netflix had pushed WD into this I am amazed they agreed ,Being as the supply of boxes for the streaming market is so competitive.

:confounded:

I’m in the UK and have had no problems with US Netflix on the new firmware. Are you guys using Unblock US?

hi  I live in Denamrk and had netflix  now I don’t…  how do I downgrade to the older firmware.  thank you

Hi

I live in Barbados and just updated my firmware to version 1.07.15 and now I am not getting Netflix. Tried reversing the process by using default settings but to  no avail. This is crazy because this now makes the WD TV live media player absolutely useless to me because I bought it only for use for Netflix.

RawleAlleyne wrote:

Hi

I live in Barbados and just updated my firmware to version 1.07.15 and now I am not getting Netflix. Tried reversing the process by using default settings but to  no avail. This is crazy because this now makes the WD TV live media player absolutely useless to me because I bought it only for use for Netflix.

Default settings does not reverse the firmware.

You need to rollback by downloading the firmware from the page below and follow the instructions.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

edited to add not - Thanks Tony - I should read my posts!

I think richUK meant to say “default settings does NOT reverse the firmware.”  :)

I’m spanish and I have US Netflix since a year. I’m thinking about buying this player (WD TV Live Streaming) to use it with my Netflix account.

So you are all saying that If we want to use Netflix outside of our territory we are forced to live without updates?

No, no, no. I was using NF with unbl.-us and was about one the first one to be pi**ed about the integrated region check that came with the 1.6 update. After getting in touch with their support they changed their settings and I can confirm that the 1.7.15 works with NF and unbl.-us on the US version model within continental europe :wink:

And you live in a non Netflix country? I live in Spain and we haven’t Netflix officially, so that’s my concern.

@N3uRo: yes, NF is not officially available in my country and I got it to work (again) but you might want to look for alternatives to the WD TV SMP as it is buggy as **bleep** and drives hundreds of users crazy…