Mkv stutter / judder disgusting behaviour!

Im looking at the specs of the GS108V3,

Forwarding Mode

• Store-and-forward
  • 192 KB on-chip packet buffering

Performance

• Bandwidth: 16 Gbps (non-blocking)
  • Forwarding rate:
  • 10 Mbps port: 14,800 packets/sec
  • 100 Mbps port: 148,000 packets/sec
  • 1000 Mbps port: 1,480,000 packets/sec
  • Latency (using 1500-byte packets):
  • 10 Mbps: 30μs (max)
  • 100 Mbps: 6μs (max)
  • 1000 Mbps: 4μs (max)

I cant see where it says about the 12kb per port that you were talking about?

Well, you said GS108 before, not V3… :wink:

But yeah, that is good, and would eliminate the discards as an issue…

So is the router out of the path?  Or do packets have to go from them NAS through BOTH the router and switch?

How do you telnet into the router?

I have connected both ways,

1. NAS-----Router------WD TV Live

2. NAS-----Router------Switch-------WD TV Live

both ways stuttering.

But with Devolo Homeplug no stuttering.

Any way to test NAS—Switch–WD?

How do I test?

Just the same way, but with the router OUT of the path of the traffic.  Hook both the NAS and the WD to the same switch.

The stuttering still exists with the NAS connected to the same switch as the WD TV Live

What switch do you use?

The GS108Tv2…  There’s actually THREE of them between my NAS and the WD I use most often…

This is a really strange problem, I have an xbox 360 and an apple tv 3 connected to the same switch and I dont experience any stuttering on them 2 devices, only when using the WD TV Live on the same switch or directly from the router it stutters.

But the homeplug it works fine. I can’t understand what the problem is, only that I think its something to do with it doesnt like the switch.

If you can recommend a better switch that would be great.

Im quite happy with my GS108Tv2’s.  but I’m doubting that your switch is the issue… 

Can you post the MEDIAINFO TEXT output for one of the files?

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

[Deleted]

Hmmm.  Well, I’m out of ideas, unfortunately…

I don’t see anything obviously wrong with that information – in fact, it’s not even high bitrate.  I have BD rips that are three times that size that stream fine… 

I guess another thing you might try is to copy the file over to your PC, and set up a shared folder there and see if it has the same issue from your PC as it does from your NAS.

Also, go ahead and check the cables for both the NAS and the WD – perhaps one of the cables is in marginal condition and is causing network errors.

I have a question about the switch, can you tell me what the difference is between the GS108E and the GS108T?

I have decided to try a different switch so will be buying either of the above.

I really don’t know anything about the -E series switches.   Best bet is to look at NetGear’s website to see.

I just made a discovery, I setup the Netgear R6300 QoS settings to on and selected the right MAC addresses to make high priority. The switch I am using is a Netgear GS105 and the streaming is working fine.

I tried hooking up the Netgear GS108v3 with the same settings on the router and the stuttering is back.

So I guess there must be a problem with the switch itself.

So my question is what is different on the GS108 (8 Ports) to the GS105 (5 Ports)? The only difference I know is the amount of ports it has.

Are they both v3?

GS105:

" Network Ports

• 5 auto-sensing UTP ports

Forwarding Mode

• Store-and-forward
  • 128 KB on-chip packet buffering"

GS108:

" Network Ports

• 8 auto-sensing UTP ports

Forwarding Mode

• Store-and-forward