Bloody AAC 5.1 still plaguing us!

Why on earth is AAC 5.1 still plaguing us - the unit refuses to play video files with this audio type.
Surely if I am connecting hdmi to TV with audio output set to stereo, why isn’t it capable of down mixing to stereo??
This is a simple feature that has been missing since the beginning with these media players from WD.
Surely it is about time they got their act together and got with the times!!!
I shouldn’t have to be converting audio on my pc to get this file to play!!
Please do something about it!!!

This is one of those weird things.

It doesn’t affect all people – I have no idea how prevalent the issue is.

But AAC 5.1 works for me in both passthrough and stereo mode via HDMI to my receiver…

The only issue I have is that AAC 5.1 via passthrough is DOWNMIXED to stereo anyway instead of 5.1 PCM.

What file type are you trying?  In my case, all the AAC files are MKV.

Thanks for the response. I am glad you have replied in a constructive manner, i am used to people repsonding saying things like “that file format is rare, that frame rate is rare etc etc.”

The file is mp4; i choose this as i find it best for image quality for the size of file and also i use these on my main living room media centre which has surround sound . Perhaps i have just gone with it as my ripping software defaults to mp4.

The unit in question, is in my bedroom and is just connected via hdmi, nothing fancy inbetween. I just thought that it would downmix to stereo as standard, for all audio formats if you have selected stereo and are using just the tv speakers…

How hard would this be to implement do you think?

thanks

I’m not plumbed directly into my TV – I have mine going into an AVR, if that makes any difference.

As far as implementation, it *should* work.   

Just encoded a clip from DVD with 5.1 soundtrack (The Matrix) with Staxrip to AAC 5.1 mp4 as well as mkv where Mediainfo reports

Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 57s 642ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 234 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 244 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy

Connected directly to my TVs (1x composite, 1x HDMI) I get 2ch stereo downmix with both files. Maybe you should upload a clip of your file to Mediafire or something for others to check it out.

Hi,

I am new to this community. I have recently connected my WD Liv 3rd gen to my HD TV via Onkyo AVR. Apparently I also noticed the issue of downmixing 5.1 channel AAC audio to 2.0 channel PCM while playing back. When I palyback the same file with LG Blu Ray player, the file is getting decoded promptly to PCM Multichannel (5.1) and I am able to enjoy the immersive surround sound. I have asked the assitance from WD Support. I beleive anyone facing this issue has found any solution.

Thanks

As you see above my self-created files work just fine. You could upload a short sample clip of your file to Mediafire so we can try to determine what’s different.