Not finding windows xp or vista network shares at all

Just hooked up my TV Live. The unit just updated its firmware. I can watch YouTube, it finds the TVersity media server on the Windows XP machine. But it does not find any network shares. Both my computers find each other, and the WD unit. But the WD does not even detect the computers, let alone the network shares.

I can press ok on the “network share” icon in the menu, but nothing happens.

All systems are in the WORKGROUP.

Certainly no expert (still have my WD TV Live in the box), but I noticed there was a knowledgebase article saying that the WD TV Live can’t access XP machines that DON’T have a password on the applicable user account.

Could that be the issue?  I know it will be for me.

I have exactly the same problem, any solution yet? (Password for XP account didn’t help either)

I had same problem after upgrading network.  Check if your network switches and routers are in WD TV compatible device list.  My problem was I had it connected directly to DIR-655 then I installed GS608 and everything stopped working until I figured to switch back to DIR-655. Try it may be it will solve your issue.

beamman wrote:

Certainly no expert (still have my WD TV Live in the box), but I noticed there was a knowledgebase article saying that the WD TV Live can’t access XP machines that DON’T have a password on the applicable user account.

Could that be the issue?  I know it will be for me.

I am using XP without passwords and network shares have always worked fine. You simply share the folder. Sometimes you have to wait for the network shares to be found. With the availability of decent free media servers I not sure why anybody uses the network shares.

I have the same problem with Windows7 x64.  I currently use Tversity to access my NAS and WD world edition drive without ant problem since they have /public directories. I also shared several folders on my PC. WD TV live media player cannot see any of my shares on the network. I am stuck in using Tversity to stream. If I use Tversity why I need WD TV live… Since I don’t want to live my computer all the time for Tversity, I would like to use WD TV live to access NAS and WD world edition… 

Any ideas how to get it working…

Try this:

Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools - select “Services”

Find: “Network DDE DSDM”.  If it is disabled, set the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service.

Find: “Network DDE”.  If it is disabled, set the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service.

Once both services are running, the WD TV Live should see network shares without any problems (assuming they are set up correctly, and not firewalled to prevent access).

I had the same problem, and this worked for me.

Thanks,

Brad

1 Like

Just want to confirm that turning on the network services also worked for me.

I have an WinXP computer that is running Playon and has shared folders, plus an NAS drive.

I powered up my WD TV Live and made all the connections.  Everything worked (Network, Playon, NAS drive) except the shared folders on the WinXP computer.

The network services were disabled so I set them to auto and started them.  I restarted the WD TV Live and now the WinXP shared folders were visable.

Marc

PersiusOne wrote:

Try this:

Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools - select “Services”

Find: “Network DDE DSDM”.  If it is disabled, set the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service.

Find: “Network DDE”.  If it is disabled, set the startup type to “Automatic” and start the service.

Once both services are running, the WD TV Live should see network shares without any problems (assuming they are set up correctly, and not firewalled to prevent access).

I had the same problem, and this worked for me.

Thanks,

Brad

this fixed my problem with xp shares. tyvm!!