Occasional Visitor
Ant32

Watching 1080P MKV File over wireless

Good day!

Here's my prob:

When I'm connected direct wire to router /hub I can watch everyting fine.

Now when I switch to wireless and play a large 1080p MKV movie  it works fine for about 50 sec and then it gets choppy and no audio.  If I stop and continue where last played it works again for about 50 sec.  Again it plays fine when directly connected.

So here is my info

I'm using D-Link DI-624 Router  (Not on the official approved list but then not many are)  it is set to 100mbs but wireless, I believe, is  half  that.  It is a g router.  

USB loaded firmware  ( .11) 

I turned off my firewall, I use WPA security protocol, I belive I have tried it with it off with same results - will confirm when I get home.

The problem with other lower bitrate files it plays fine but 10 min in it loses network connection.  I'm sure the problems are related

I want this to work so bad so I can impress family and friends  for Christmas.

Thanks

Anthony

Occasional Visitor
Italianboy

Re: Watching 1080P MKV File over wireless

Hello!

I'm in queue..

I have the same problem but with powerline 85Mbps configuration.

The 1080p videos after few seconds play like slow motion..

the bitrate that I can reach with PL is about 30Mbps but during the streaming of 1080p the max bitrate is 11-12Mbps...

With other video (avi, mpeg, divx and so on) I haven't any problem...

...BUFFER?? OR???

is possible fix this problem with new firmware or it is HW  problem???

thanks

Vittorio

Respected Contributor
neutro

On 802.11 g wireless, 54 Mbps is the maximum theoretical speed (per channel). The actual speed depends on many factors: strength of connexion, other network activity, or depending on the router hardware, even just the presence of other connected device. So in practice  you may get much less continuous transfer speed than 54 Mbps.

In contrast, streaming a 1080p video file is typically a demanding operation network-wise. There is an average transfer speed needed but also keep in mind that all parts of the files are encoded at the same bitrate, so that bandwidth spikes are to be expected.

I got no problem on LAN with 100 base T ethernet cable, but I would be wary of 802.11 g for these files. On the other hand, 802.11 n was in part designed with streaming HD content in mind, with a peak bandwidth of 300 Mbps. Routers and USB dongles are pricier for 802.11 n but that's probably the way to go for wireless transfer of 1080p content.

Frequent Advisor
cjeman

Anthony.... I had the same problem... I have DIR-655 wireless router & cable modem that I moved from my home office to my  home theater. I bought a wireless bridge to get the Internet/WLAN to the home office. The WD Live is now hardwired to the router and NAS. I have a DLNA enabled HD TV attached to the router and the widgets run just fine.

Life is pretty sweet.

ce

WD Live Streaming & Plus networked with 2 Zyxel & MyBook NAS
Occasional Advisor
mabuse786

I am experiencing excatly the same problems but  with 802.11n. I am using Linksys equipment WRT610 and WET610 - wireless bridge. I haven't treid it yet with a cable but it seems, the WiFi connection is the problem.

Does anybody knows something about buffering in the WD TV Live? Or is the Ethernet socket a 1 Gb/s or only 100 Mb/s?

Thank you and wish you all nice holidays.:smileyhappy:

m

Occasional Visitor
singm2

I have exact same issue  with wireless.

Collector
kwelvis

I have the same problem with the device in combination with a Devolo 200mb connection (via power socket).

Have tried other devices eg HDWMV steramingwith xbox360 no problems.

Hope there is gonna be a solution soon.....

Frequent Visitor
essence

I am able to stream full 1080P (mkv) wirelessly anywhere in my house using a dlink wireless N router. I suspect a G router is pushing it, but the WD device can do it. (Which is quite remarkable, actually.)

Occasional Advisor
mabuse786

This is  really interesting, because I can not. Can you also stream m2ts files without problems?

How do you encode the MKV files?

Thank you

m

Occasional Advisor
mabuse786

And another question: Do you use the original firmware and how does your set up look like?

Are you using a bridge or a WiFi USB stick or a direct connection to a WiFi bridge or a hub in between?

Thank you again...:smileyhappy:

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD