WDTV Live and Network Shares

PixelPower wrote:

The userID the WDTV uses to access my network shares is the same userID I use to sign in to Windows (the main account with adminstrator access).  I simply wanted it to work ASAP and that was the quickest way I could think of.  Creating a unique account for the Live sounds like an elegant solution but I’m not an elegant person.  ;)

I actually use TVersity with transcoding disabled. The reason being that windows media server wouldn’t play nicely with MKV files (or any other format that WMP doesn’t recognise).  If you’re only interested in streaming MP3s, that probably won’t affect you.  TVersity simply organises and serves my files in their original format, letting the Live do the decoding.  I also use TVersity to stream ShoutCast radio.  If I had a better internet connection I’d likely buy the Pro version and stream Hulu videos too.

When using network shares, the devices communicate via SMB / SAMBA.  In a network like that, one machine must act as local master browser , keeping record of all attached PCs / devices on the network.  There are differing opinions on whether it’s a factor but, in some situations, if the WDTV Live acts as master browser due to being powered on first, the windows share PC might not announce itself on the network for an indeterminate period of time (some claim up to 15 minutes).  As Mike has pointed out in other threads, Windows Vista / 7 has default settings for master browser election that in general should work fine.

Regardless, that should have no effect on your media server (UPnP) connection.

My experience regarding what device should be powered on first is that the PC or device with network shares should always be powered on before the WDTV.  Certainly it appears to be critical for network share connections in my network.  Have to add that disclaimer; YMMV.

Again, UPnP media server connections don’t seem to care as much about what device was switched on first.  I’ve been able to stream 2hr HD movies via media server when the network share was not visible.  I pretty much use TVersity as the fallback for those rare occasions when my PC decides it needs some “me” time.  ;)

Well, if you are using your main login and it’s PW protected it shouldn’t functionally be any different than me using a custom ID, and I still find myself at why doesnt my ID for the WDTV work? 

I haven’t tried to use TVersity with the WDTV.  I did with my X-Box 360 and it tended to screw up the formating of the picture when it transcoded.  The resolution was not as good as the original file and it would double stretch a widescreen video (IE I would get black bars above and below a 16x9 video on a 16x9 TV so I guess it was really "squashed).  Anyway, I haven’t tried it with the WDTV yet.  Howver, if it will pass through and MPEG endoded MKV file without touching the data, then maybe I’ll give it a go.  UPnP always works, but its all about the quality of the audi/video.  Maybe I’ll use it as a backup too.