WDTV Live and Network Shares

PixelPower wrote:>  

My experience regarding what device should be powered on first is that the PC or device with network shares should always be powered on before the WDTV.  Certainly it appears to be critical for network share connections in my network.  Have to add that disclaimer; YMMV.

I think Grant’s right here.  I don’t think the whole “master browser” issue means much, but I do think that powering on the Live before you power on the stuff you are going to share is asking for trouble “Hey, this is trouble.  You asking for me?”). 

The reason I’m skeptical about “MB” is that I think it’s strictly a Windows concept, and when my NAS is on (no PCs) the shares work just fine.  The NAS is Linix, the Live is Linix, and there ain’t no master browser in sight (MB was introduced in early Windows days as a way of keeping the many different variety of Windows boxes in some sort of sharing sync).

But if you don’t have your shares setup and ready to go (thus the PC they are on, the NAS they are on) then the Live has a problem finding them.  I’m not sure why that would be an issue for anyone – you can’t possibly play from those shares until something is on, and then you turn the Live on.  Not exactly rocket science.  (And if for some reason your Live is on prior, just turn it off and THEN turn your shares on).