WDTV Live and Network Shares

mkelley wrote:

Somebody here just made a post that reminded me of something – basically they reminded me that when you upgrade the firmware it toasts your existing passwords for net shares.

You seem to imply that you haven’t done this (IIRC you said that nothing had changed) but it’s possible you upgraded your firmware and didn’t tell us.  If so, you need to reset the Live completely, start over with your network connections,etc. and most especially turn off auto logging and clear network share passwords before starting over again.

If this isn’t the case for you just ignore this meesage.

The box is brand new.  I did 2 firmware upgrades before I set it up the first time and nothing has been out since then so I am current.

I did restore defaults just to try and start over to see if it cleared up issues.  Since that time I can’t get it to even ackowledge the existing of the shares unless the Guest account is on. 

See my response directly above and the note about booting the WDTV first.  As I think this through, the way I got it to work last time:

1.  boot WDTV First

2. boot PC with shares

3. access schared drives, and get the ID/PW request

4. enter ID.  and turn on auto login in WDTV.

As I recall, that will get me to where I was yesterday with PW enabled access through a custom UserID account that works on good days :neutral_face:.  It will be Thursday evening before I can try that again.

The question still remains, when I get there, why is the account freezing where it has to be deleted and set back up in order to work.