WDTV HD Live + Linksys E3000 Router + Win 7 x64 = Having Problems

I decided to try using the new Linksys E3000 Router with the WDTV HD Live.   I am using the latest firmware for both devices.   The result is that the WDTV HD Live is able to “see” the Linksys Router under “Network Shares”, but when I click on accessing it (so I am able to see the drive / shared directories under it), I get the following error “This network share cannot be accessed”.

I have cleared the login cache and reset all I could think of, but it just won’t go.

When I re-connect my old WRT300N router (without changing a thing either on the PC or the WDTV HD Live), it works like a charm.

Any ideas?   Has anyone gotten this combo to work?

I assume you’re talking about using a hard drive attached to that router, correct?  Or do you mean your net shares on your computer don’t show up anymore when you’re using the router?

If the former, I suspect you’re out of luck – as Bill posted elsewhere, it’s not on the approved list and I doubt whether Linksys cares about the Live.  If the latter, I can’t imagine why your PC shares would stop working just because you changed your router (particularly since when you put the old router back on they start working again) unless it’s some kind of wireless issue (in which case I’d try a direct wire into the 3000 just to eliminate that possibility).

<<I assume you’re talking about using a hard drive attached to that router, correct?  Or do you mean your net shares on your computer don’t show up anymore when you’re using the router?>>

I am using a wireless connection, with the Linksys WUSB600N Adapter connected to the WDTTV HD Live. 

<If the former, I suspect you’re out of luck – as Bill posted elsewhere, it’s not on the approved list and I doubt whether Linksys cares about the Live.  If the latter, I can’t imagine why your PC shares would stop working just because you changed your router (particularly since when you put the old router back on they start working again) unless it’s some kind of wireless issue (in which case I’d try a direct wire into the 3000 just to eliminate that possibility).>

Well, its the “latter” and it makes no sense for me either.  Again, I make no changes to Windows 7 nor to the WDTV.  I am connecting to the same SSID via 2.4 mhz.  And Youtube.com works just fine, so we have an internet connection for sure.

What shocks me is that WDTV has been out for 5+ months, and their compatibility list is as small as it was released 4 weeks ago.

I just saw that a NEW FIRMWARE was just released for the E3000 router:

05/04/2010 - Ver.1.0.01 (build 6)

I installed it and unfortunately it does NOT fix the problem that I am having with the WDTV HD Live.

C’mon WD + Linksys - wake up and smell the coffee!

I notice on mine that the Router shows up as a media server / sharer even though I’ve disabled both functions.  THAT is annoying to me.  At least with this new FW (thanks for posting, btw) I can change the weird default name…

Are you sure you have the Media Server ENABLED?   That option is under the STORAGE / MEDIA SERVER tabs.   Also, make sure you have the appropriate ACCOUNT enabled under STORAGE / ADMINISTRATION.   Click the EDIT button next to the USER you’re trying to log in as, and make sure the check box next to ACCOUNT DISABLED is NOT checked.

<< Are you sure you have the Media Server ENABLED?   That option is under the STORAGE / MEDIA SERVER tabs.   Also, make sure you have the appropriate ACCOUNT enabled under STORAGE / ADMINISTRATION.   Click the EDIT button next to the USER you’re trying to log in as, and make sure the check box next to ACCOUNT DISABLED is NOT checked.>>

I DON’T have it ENABLED.   I dont have multiple user accounts on my Windows 7 PC, and I am using anonymous login into my WDTV HD.       That’s how it has been working perfectly with the WRT300N.  

Am I missing something then?   The tech support of Linksys never addressed this possibility.

Go to this screen:

STORAGE / DISK

Resize your browser window so that it’s as small as possible, but that all the info still fits in the window.

Hold down ALT and press PRINT-SCREEN button.   That’ll do a screen grab.

Go into PAINT (included with Windows 7) and PASTE.

If there’s something there you don’t want us to see, erase it first, then save that file as a PNG file.

Now do the same thing in the STORAGE / ADMINISTRATION screen.

Post those here.

Hi again!

Here are the requested imgages and also  here is the link to the Yutube.com video that I used to setup my Windows 7 64-bit machine.  Again, using this setup, I have had the WDTV HD Live working like a charm with the WRT300N router:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM

Thanks again for all the help!

Well, that didn’t work…  Your images don’t appear to have worked, as if they’re not supported by this forum…

What do you mean, Tony?  I see them.  Or am I missing something?

Bill_S wrote:

What do you mean, Tony?  I see them.  Or am I missing something?

I don’t see them. Its just 3 white squares with a triangle in each. I tried it on IE, Firefox and Chrome.

Now, you should be able to see them.  I’m not getting notified when pictures need to be approved.  Sorry, guys.

I hope that those screen-shots are seen by everyone or I can retry to put them up.

mystiky wrote:

I hope that those screen-shots are seen by everyone or I can retry to put them up.

Don’t worry they can be seen now.

Uhm, maybe this is too obvious:

The first screen scrape says “NO DISK.”   So, of course it’s not going to have anything to show you when you browse to it via the WDTV.

Okay - how do I add my Drive C: subdirectory /TRANSFER  (thats my only shared directory for WDTV) when everything under DISK is greyed out?

I think we may have to go back to the beginning.

Am I correct in saying that you have a computer which is wi-fi connected to the E3000 router and you are attempting to connect to a folder on the C drive of your computer. You do not have a disc connected directly to the E3000.

If I am correct what exactly is the problem?

<<I think we may have to go back to the beginning.   Am I correct in saying that you have a computer which is wi-fi connected to the E3000 router and you are attempting to connect to a folder on the C drive of your computer. You do not have a disc connected directly to the E3000.   If I am correct what exactly is the problem?>

Here is what I have:

One desktop PC, running Windows 7 x64, with the E3000 connected to it via Ethernet connection.    Within my PC, I have created a Shared Folder (C:\TRANSFER), in which I have photos, avi, mp3 files.    About 50 feet away, I have my Sony HD TV, to which there is WDTV HD Live connected, via the HDMI.     I have attached a Linksys WUSB600N Adapter into the WDTV HD Live’s USB port, so that I can wirelessly connect back to my PC, access the Shared Folder  and play anything from there directly onto my PC.    There is nothing connected to the E3000 via the USB port.

When I try this with the E3000 router connected, I have no problems accessing the internet from within the WDTV HD Live because I can go to Video / Youtube and play (stream) any videos on my TV – as this is coming from the internet connection.  However, when I go to Video / Network Shares -  I see an icon for the E3000 router (called Cisco07519), and when I try clicking on it (with the idea that it would then show me the Shared Folder) , I get the following error “This network share cannot be accessed”.    And that’s as far as I can get.

Now, using the exactt same setup, without changing anything except “swapping” the routers, from E3000 back to WRT300N, when I click on Video / Network Shares - Without even seeing any router names, I am automatically shown the C: drive volume name (MYSTYKIY and when I click on it, I am immediately taken to the \TRANSFER directory and can see all files there and of course they all play.

So somehow, WDTV HD Live is not getting access past the E3000 so it can then allow access to my desktop PC.  And it seems that WDTV HD Live tech support folks are correct.  Since this baby plays fine with WRT300N, but not with the E3000, it must be a Linksys issue.   

I have tried disabling any and all built-in firewalls in the E3000, thinking that somehow that is the issue, but the result is the same.  The new updated firmware, about which I wrote a couple of days ago, does not change my situation in any way.

I hope I have explained this as clear as I can. 

I understand that the computer is connected to the router but the router is not actually sharing the folder. The computer is sharing it via the router. I would assume that the router has a sharing capability because you can add a disc to it and that may be the reason that it shows up ( as you do not have a disc on it you get the message). You should also be able to see your computer in its own right via network shares if when clicking Video / Network Shares you cycle by using the up and down buttons.  As well as the router name you should see your computer name by using the up and down buttons on the remote.

But how can I think add the disk if as you can see by the 1st screen of my captures, that everything is greyed out?