Advisor
JEEVO
Accepted Solution

WD TV Live as DLNA DMR

Hi,

I would like to use my WD TV Live as DLNA DMR. This way I can use push content products (such as TwonkyBeam and the "Play To" function in Windows 7 to send content to my WD TV Live.

At the moment, this is not working correctly. There is a hack (select a photo to display to put the WD TV Live in some sort of video layer mode and then push content), but I would like to do this properly.

Can you let me know when DLNA DMR will be implemented?

Thanks

JEEVO

Valued Contributor
Yemble

Re: WD TV Live as DLNA DMR

Yes, it seems to be a bit of an oversight that the HDTV Live cannot operate as a DLNA media server for localy connected USB media.  All of the functionality appears to be there within the box, the only thing that is missing is publication onto the network as a DNLA interface.

This would solve my current issue accessing an external DNLA media server to stream MP3s for more than 30 minutes at a time, since I could run from locally attached media instead, without loosing the ability to connect to the same media content from other DLNA players elsewhere on my network.

Advisor
JEEVO

Hi Yemble,

You are referring to DLNA SERVER, and I am talking about DLNA RENDERER. Different thing.

Someone else, maybe from WD, who can help out?

Thanks

JEEVO

Valued Contributor
Yemble

Perhaps we need both DLNA features :smileywink:

Advisor
JEEVO

Definitely. With regards to the Renderer part, folks from Microsoft were demonstrating this at the Windows 7 launch event last year, with a WD TV Live box. Have a look at this windows 7 demo using WDTV, at 29:15, it seems to be working perfectly fine for them:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windows7/

So it is interesting to see how it worked during the Microsoft demo, but not any longer with the current firmware. Is WD monitoring this forum? Any reaction from them would be appreciated. :smileyhappy:

Regular Advisor
ptricks

[ Edited ]

I have been working with the Live quite a bit using custom firmware so I know its internals very well. The root of the problem is a program called DMAOSD. It is responsible for everything you see in regards to menus, starting playback , etc.  It doesn't like to hand off control to anything  except for things it initiates.  Using custom firmware people have been able to get by this and also have made the Live a server for media as well as playing things like apple trailers.

So it is possible for WD to fix this, if the hobby community can do it surely someone with paid employees can do it.

For now if you want to continue using the retail firmware you will just have to put the box in a video display mode using a photo.

I am not happy at all with the DLNA support in the Live since a lot of the commands that are suppose to work do not work. Things like volume are part of the spec but when sent to the Live , the Live just responds with OK like it performed the action when in fact it did nothing. How they got it certified I do not know.

Frequent Visitor
stfisch3

I've recently tried to use the WD TV Live as DLNA DMR and it seems to still be broken.   I would assume this would have been fixed after 6+ months of being posted here but I guess not.  The device is discoverable as a DMR but when asked to play media it seems to returns error messages and invalid states. 

I noticed the Windows 7 Play To command works now but I'd like to use a DLNA Controller from another platform.

Does anyone know if WDC is planning on fixing this?

Steve

Honored Contributor
richUK

stfisch3 wrote:

I've recently tried to use the WD TV Live as DLNA DMR and it seems to still be broken.   I would assume this would have been fixed after 6+ months of being posted here but I guess not.  The device is discoverable as a DMR but when asked to play media it seems to returns error messages and invalid states. 

I noticed the Windows 7 Play To command works now but I'd like to use a DLNA Controller from another platform.

Does anyone know if WDC is planning on fixing this?

Steve

Why do you assume that there will be a 'fix'. Its certificated under DNLA as a Digital Media Player (DMP) and not as a Digital Media Renderer (DMR)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Frequent Visitor
stfisch3

If that is the case then it shouldn't "broadcast" to other devices on the network that its is a DMR, and THAT should be fixed.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

[ Edited ]

I'm no DLNA expert, but I thought the only difference between a DMP and DMR was that a DMR can be operated using a separate CONTROLLER. 

I believe that DOES work, at least in part; people have demonstrated using VLC as the SERVER and the WDTV as a RENDERER via an iPhone CONTROLLER (VLC Remote).

By the way, it doesn't have to be CERTIFIED to advertise as a DMR, does it?  

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD