WD Live cannot connect to network share after server wakes from sleep

I have 3 WD TV Lives.  Two of the older ones (the non wireless black/gray with the small remotes) then the new one with the Wireless N built in with the larger remote.

I have this Windows7 x64 machine that houses all my data/media.  I have it set to always sleep at 1am using the following command “C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0”.  Then it is told to wake up at 11am every day using the Wake Computer option by simply calling say IPConfig /renew.

Now that part works flawlessly.  Goes to sleep and wakes as scheduled every day.  All other laptops and workstations can access the machine anytime its wake, so it has no issues accessing shares after it has woken up.

Now the WD TV live Ive noticed after wake, sees the machine, but when you try to access it, says Cannot Access Network Share.  If I reboot the WD TV Live, it doesnt help, just continues to say the same thing.

Only way to get the WD TV Live to access it is to reboot that Windows7 machine.  Then it has no issue accessing that share.  So I feel somehow the sleep/wake is causing issues with WD TV Live.  Even though no other machine has issues accesing the shares on a post sleep/wake. 

Anyone seen this? Anyone have any suggestions?  Rebooting the machine each time after a wake just to access it via WD TV Live is getting troublesome.

Thanks

Dixit

Probably loses the Master Browser role to another device when it goes to sleep, doesn’t regain it when it wakes up, but does regain it if rebooted. Check this for more detail.See if this tutorial for troubleshooting helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

I believe I found the culprit.  This may help others who may be using their Win7 devices as file sharing machines or media streaming machines with Shares.

I noticed alot of Windows 7 Nonpaged Pool Srv Errors in the event log.  This is what they would show up as in the description:

Source: srv Event ID: 2017 Level: Error The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations.

Now I have 8GB of ram on this machine and its running x64 so I found it hard to believe it was running out of Ram.  Did some research and there are two specific Registry keys you need to modify in order for the Win7 machine to allocate memory better for file sharing purposes.

Set the following registry key to ’1′

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to ’3′

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

This better manages the nonpaged pool memory for Win7.  I noticed I never had this problem with any of my WD TV Lives with this exact same machine before when it was running Windows Home Server 2011.  So the reasoning is the Server OS’s already have these registry keys enabled and correct since they are “server” based OS.  The Win7 is a client based OS and many do use it as a file server but these registry keys by default are not set to give it the best possible allocation.

Here is a table that shows how these keys work based on what you intend on using it for.  This helps you set the above two keys.

This table presents the settings you should select on a Workstation to achieve the same effect you would get using the dialog box were your system a Server.

Tuning Target LargeSystemCache Size

Minimize Memory Used 0 1

Balance 0 2

File Sharing 1 3

Network Applications 0 3

I no longer see these nonpaged pool errors and all my WD TV Lives can access the shares even after a sleep/wake over night which I tested just a short while ago.  So I think this might be useful to others.

Dixit

I can confirm for sure this is a fix for me.  Ive gone a week now and no issues on the WD Live side on playing or accessing any shares even with the sleep/wake cycle on my Win7 box.

Dixit