WD Live Plus dropping network connection

I have been using WD live for a long time and had never problem with it.

Few days ago I bought TV Live Plus because I wanted to use my network shares. Out of the box after two firmware updates the unit found my network right away and I was able to use internet resources and also access my network shares.

But than problems started. What is happening now is that I can see the network shares and I can play any file but only for 5-10 minutes. After short time screen just gets black and a minute after prompt pops out that the network is lost. The funny thing is that right after that I can go to network share and select same file and play it and I will even get the option to continue from where it stopped. Now it happens all the time and intervals are anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

I am running XP and Linksys Router with direct cable connection to the WD Live Plus.

Another problem I have is occasional and it happens when I play files from USB attached drive. Sometimes it happens that the file will stop playing and the screen will go black, and the unit act like it is frozen.  After you come to main interface and select the same file you get only the circle in the middle of the screen rolling (start reading the file) and it just sits there doing nothing. I have to restart WD Live and than select file and everything is OK it plays till the end without problem.

Please if someone can offer some help especially for the network problem, because the unit is completely useless without this feature. I am afraid that the unit is somehow defective.

Thanks in advance

A bit confused;  You bought a PLUS so you could use network shares?   The Live does that, too.   Was it for NetFlix / Blockbuster?

Also, are you hooking up both the LIVE and the LIVE PLUS at the same time?   If so, make sure you change the name of one of them, because they both have the name “WDTVLIVE” by default and will mess up network sharing.

Not sure what’s going on with files on your USB.

Sorry for confusion.  My bad. The one I had used before was WD TV I think (no network) and no I am not using it now,  so they are not hooked both. Just TV Live Plus.

I can see WDLIVE on my network and it seems that it is always there. It is droping connection only when it plays files from the server. Also if I watch YouTube videos they seem to play fine no problem so it seems that this issue is only for my LAN. Internet does not drop.

Guys please help.

If you read this forum you will see that a lot of us have problems with the latest firmware. Personally, I had to downgrade to 1.03.49 because of video stuttering and audio dropouts. You can try downgrading the firmware. If that doesn’t work, it is easy enough to go back to the latest firmware.

Look here for downgrade instructions and files:

Firmware Downgrade

Calexico wrote:

Sorry for confusion.  My bad. The one I had used before was WD TV I think (no network) and no I am not using it now,  so they are not hooked both. Just TV Live Plus.

I can see WDLIVE on my network and it seems that it is always there. It is droping connection only when it plays files from the server. Also if I watch YouTube videos they seem to play fine no problem so it seems that this issue is only for my LAN. Internet does not drop.

What you’re describing can happen if a PC is turned ON / OFF / or rebooted when the WDTV is streaming from a computer.   The PC does NOT have to be the one that is currently being accessed.   If a PC change forces a MASTER BROWSER election, these are the exact symptoms.

Calexico   Does this happen if ONLY the PC that is streaming is on, and nothing else changes?

My computer (server) is always on so it is not that i restarted and I have problem. Problems were since first day I hocked it up.

When I set it up I did automatic network detection and it found everything right away. I see all files and are able to play all of them but than it stops, goes to black screen and after a minute or two I get the prompt that it lost connection. I go back to same share (I can see it even system told me that network is not accesible) click the same file and it plays but again for 5-10 minutes and than everithing repeats.

I did put the name of my network. Right now I realized that instead of Home I put in WDLive home so I put capital and I am going to restart the server and see if that will do it.

After that i will trry to downgrade firmware and see if that will help.

Thank you ALL for chipping in helping me. I really appreciate this.

The workgroup name is NOT case sensitve. 

Also, I said that it can be ANY PC on the network being turned on / off / rebooted that can affect it, not just the one that you’re using for movie storage.  If ANY PC or other Workgroup-aware device is changed, it WILL affect the ability of the Live to connect to the PC that IS sharing.

Well you were right about the name because after restart i did try and it happened again.

I do have another computers on the network (wireless) but they did not restart. Also I have iphone and ipad accessing wireless network.

WDLIVE is not on wireless but wired to the router.

The prompt I am getting is: “There is a problem connecting to the network. The device could not connect to the Network”

with the big tab with “OK” on it. When I click OK and go to share I see all files and I can select and play the same file right away (so the connection is there - it is not lost).

:angry:

I downgraded the firmware like suggested and still the same problem.

This is driving me nuts!

Do this.   

On the PC that is serving the files, open a CMD window and type the command:

ping -t [ip address of HUB]

Just let it run.

Go watch a movie.

As SOON AS IT BREAKS, go to the PC and see what’s in the CMD window.

Are there ANY lines that say  timed out or “Destination Unreachable?”

Man I really appreciate you trying to hepl.

I did what you said and I got the:

“Reply from 192.168.1.107: bytes=32  time<1ms TTL=64”

when the video stoped playing I got:

“Request timed out”

and right next line was again

“Reply from 192.168.1.107: bytes=32  time<1ms TTL=64”

DO I have to assign permanent IP for WDLIVE or something?

Nope!   That’s the PERFECT sign of a momentary failure in your NETWORK.

Let’s try to track it down.

Open TWO CMD windows.

In the first one, do the same thing as before.

In the SECOND one:

ping -t [ip address of your router.]

If BOTH fail at the same time, the problem is between your computer and your router.

If ONLY the FIRST one fails, the problem is between the WDTV and the router.

WDLIVE failed only.

Router was OK

Is it maybe a faulty cable?

That’s the first thing to try.

Other possibilities:

BAD PORT on the Router’s or Switch (try a different port, with SAME cable.)

BAD WDTV interface  (least likely, but still possible.)

Other unlikely possibilities:

Something on your network is causing a huge burst of traffic and it’s interfering with getting traffic to / from your WDTV.

I hooked up WDLive on another TV which has another cable hooked to the router and so far so good. No disconnection. It is playing for almost an hour.

I think the cable was the problem.

Man THANKS A MILLION!

I will let you know how it goes.

My pleasure!