Video files won't play more than once over network

I have a very strange problem. I recently moved in with a roommate and connected my PC and WD TV Live to their network. When I go to my network shares I can see the shares, browse the files and even play the movie, but if I pause it, stop it or fast forward it stops working. It keeps playing in the background and if I try to restart it it goes back to the movie in the exact same place as before as if it never stopped except I have the spinning wheel overlayed. If I leave it alone it will play all the way through. If it ends and I try to play something else I get “Unable to play selected file” In order to play another file or restart the current one I have to unplug the WD TV  and try again. 

I have tried resetting the WD TV and that didn’t work. I have tried taking all other devices OFF the network and THAT didn’t help. I have made no changes to my computer setup. 

One other odd thing is I have the same problem playing the movies off my USB WD Passport when the network is connected. If I unplug it, it works fine…

Obviously this has something to do with the network but I am unable to pinpoint what the problem might be. I’m assuming it’s the router which is a D-Link DIR-615. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

There is a mysterious problem floating around that seems to affect ALL versions of the WD’s (Live / Plus / Hub / etc.)

the presence of SOMETHING on specific networks cause exactly the issue you describe.

The closest people have determined what’s causing it is UPnP packets from some other devices, but WD hasn’t tracked it down…

Most people never see it; but the people that DO see it can only fix it by disconnecting it from the network and playing via USB media instead…

Well, as there is only one PC on the network while testing, and that PC hasn’t changed at all, the only problem might be the router but the uPnP is turned off.

The only other thing I can think of is the internet connection. It’s a different service than I had before so I wonder if they aren’t doing something weird… I’ll check it out tonite.

I’ll be really unhappy if it turns out to be the cable company…

Turns out it was the router causing issues. I setup my old Linksys WRT54G and everything works great.

I’m still not sure what the issue was with the DLink DIR-615. I would love to use it as it is a pretty good router for what it does. I tried shutting off everything I could think of - QoS, firewall option, etc. but nothing made a difference. I realize it is not on the “List of compatible devices” but I’m not sure how that should really make a difference - I mean it’s a ROUTER for god’s sake…

I agree!   Yours is just one more of those “mysterious somethings” that causes those issues.

Please open a case with Western Digital Support (via WEB is probably better than wasting your telephone call…) so they can continue to track this.

hi there

• it might be router related “dns server”  functionality ?

• pls check that [dns]

• pls reset to defaults [small pin aside press shortly]

• pls check with the other router 

regards

pawson

pawson wrote:

hi there

• it might be router related “dns server”  functionality ?
  • pls check that [dns]
  • pls reset to defaults [small pin aside press shortly]
  • pls check with the other router 

regards

pawson

Thanks for the suggestions. However  all of the above have been checked and ruled out.  The router will not function as a dns server and all dns functionality is being handled by the appropriate ISP dns servers. I have rest the device MANY times using the reset button. It has no effect. I cannot check the other router against the D-Link simply because the firmware is completely different. I have made certain that option on one were the same as the other when they DO overlap but otherwise it will not work.

hi

• sorry to hear that

• yea…as you described …seems a router/network related problem

• pls check this forum looking for “solution” there somewhere might be a hint

• and of course drop a line to WD service - that is what they are for

regards

pawson