Using a Switch to network a WD TV Live Plus

Hello, I’m having a problem using a Switch to network a WDTV Live Plus.  I used a router with no problems own my own network.  But when trying to setup my Uncles using his Linksys EZXS55W switch, I cannot see the WDTV Live Plus on the network.  I installed it on his TV with a 2TB external drive connect to it.   I can view  on the TV the movies that are on the external drive without any problems.  My Uncle wants to also veiw the movies on his desktop PC, XP PRO.  I connect the cable coming from the modem into Port one on the switch, cable coming from port 2 to his PC and cable coming from port 3 to the WDTV Live PLus.  I selected Automatic Network setup on the WDTV Live Plus and that went OK.  The Check Connection also went OK.  I can see it on the network but when I select it, it says the network path cannot be found. Is there some more configuring on the PC or WDTV Live Plus that I might be overlooking?  Thanks for any help.

That’s not going to work on a lot of ISP systems…  most ISPs will only let you have one IP address.

Using a switch, you’re exposing both devices to the raw internet, assuming that it will even allow all three to get an IP address.

ESPECIALLY since you’re sharing folders on a PC, I *strongly* suggest that you put a router in the picture between the modem and the switch (or just make use of the switch ports that are built in to most routers.)