Troubleshooting Windows File Sharing

Thanks for the quick response.  I checked to see if my firewall was blocking those ports.  I went to the exceptions tab and edited the “file and printer sharing” entry and found that it had an exception for the following ports:

TCP 139

TCP 445

UDP 137

UDP 138

So it seems this isn’t my problem… I’ll try manually adding the other type of port for each and see if that could help?

You do agree though that it must be my firewall?

Thanks again!

Update: Well I tried that to no avail.  There has to be some other port, and that’s all my knowledgeless brain can think of…

** Update **: I got it working!   Strangely, I have no technical idea of what was changed, but here’s what I did.

When I had first setup my internet/network connection I used the “setup a home or small office network” wizzard, and selected that my computer connected to a residential gateway.  I’m pretty sure this is the standard choice for anybody connected to a modem/router or a router connected to a modem.  However I remember having connection issues back in the old days of having LAN parties and playing counter-strike and remembered that I solved them (for again a technical reason unbeknownst to me) by going through the wizzard on every computer and selecting “My computer connects to the internet via a network hub.”  So I simly ran the wizzard, selected this option, and it works.  I have heard however that this is somehow unsafe as far as leaving your computer open to attacks? Could anybody verify this?

Thanks.